Tire/R&P size - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2000, 11:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Tire/R&P size

Ok guys,I searched for it in the files, and all over the sites and I can't find it. Simple question, what is the most ideal R&P size for 31" BFGs. If it makes any difference, as it does with very large tires, I am also going to stuff a locker of some sort in there as well, more than likely it will be the E-Z Locker. Thank You in advance guys.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2000, 09:21 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Tire/R&P size

Hate to say it, but the ideal gear size for the 31" tire is a 4.89 transfer case gear.

Why go with ring and pinions when a Tcase gearset will cost the same when all is said and done, install easier, and increase, rather than decrease the strength of your drivetrain?

4.89 gearsets like the ones we carry set you back up dead on for a 31" tire and give you the ultra low power of the 115% reduction in low range.

http://www.rocky-road.com
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2000, 03:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Nica,
Glenn is not just trying to sell you a product here-- the "GRS II" type 4.89 Low transfer case gears are the way to go for 31's.

Tim J

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2000, 07:09 PM

Just curious if the "GRS ll" is the best choice for 31's when most of my wheelin' is mud. Can gearing be too low? Sometimes my mud tires need a little "extra" spin to clean out the tread. I was considering just a "GRS I". Any experiences?

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2000, 07:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Easy fix for gears too low....

Put it in 2nd gear instead of 1st :^)

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2000, 09:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've had my GRSII with 31's for over a year and it works great. Rear locker keeps me moving too.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2000, 12:00 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey Glenn,

My Sammi 1300 about to be at .030 over(engine rebuild in progress as we speak). I have the weber, thorley header and 2 inch exh. Next on the list is your bolt on soa with 30's. My Sammi is now a plaything since purchasing my new blazer. Most of it's wheeling is driving back and forth to the trail in Tellico about 85 mi. Is the 4.16 gearset going to be enough to run 65 or 70 on the highway without loosing steam on the uphill grades. I would go with the lower gear, but due to price the 4.16 is a more viable option at this time. Am I going to regret not waiting the extra 2 weeks needed to purchase the lower gearset.

Thanks for your help, oh sammi GURU!!
Tim

post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2000, 02:08 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

4.16 gear kit is great for 30" tires. you'll do fine with the engine mods too. Speed can depend on the condition of your engine too. If its running tight, you can fly. If its getting tired, don't expect to zip along at 75 MPH.

PS. I ain't no Guru. Just another Zuk dude whose has these things around now for about 12 years now, busted just about every part on the things, and wasted thousands over the years on junk and bad decisions. I just try and share some experiences every now and then....

post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2000, 07:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

OK Glen, I hear you loud and clear, and I will not disagree at all. Being the proud owner of a Toy I know the essence of lower t-case gears. However, this Sam is not a sole trail machine, I drive it on the highways/freeways to get to my favorite spots, therefore I need the gears in the pumpkins as well. I' ve got 35s w/5.29 in my Toy and on a good day I can rev that sucker and fly on 5th gear (G-52/4 cyl) going up big hills. I understand the comparisson may not be adequate due to the engine size, mods, etc., nonetheless, in a smaller scale I want to be able to "go". What is the best applicable R&P size?
Thank you in advance. NICA

post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2000, 08:35 PM

NICA,
The 4.89 type transfer case gives an additional reduction of 18% in high range.This will correct perfectly for 31" tires on the highway.The low range reduction is more than doubled.When I have my 4.89 TC in low range I usually
start off in 2nd or 3rd gear.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode