Toyota carb pics and thoughts--YEEHAAA - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2003, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

Toyota carb pics and thoughts--YEEHAAA

It's all buttoned up and it runs great! This was not a bad project at all, nothing too technical, and if you can get the throttle cable bracket with the carb nothing to fab either (but where's the fun in that). Cost: Remanufactured carb off 78 Corolla $65, rebuild kit from Advanced $15.99, manual choke kit from Advanced $13.99......no more dying Zuk - PRICELESS! When I first put it on and ran it it wouldn't hold low RPM idle at all and had a hesitation when going from primary to secondary. Found out why - I mounted the carb with the bowl front instead of bowl back like the NCO tech article, but I didn't reverse the thermal spacer with the new vacuum channel, the power valve wasn't getting vacuum to open up..reversed spacer..no hesitation. The idle problem was the idle needle(inside the carb) plugged solid with varnish from baking in the Arizona sun. I had it out when I did the rebuild and thought it was a tapered needle valve like in a motorcycle carb...wrong, it has a hole through it. Got it opened up and it idles nicely. Been tuning in the idle/idle jet adjustment the last couple days, right now if it idles nicely at 900 RPM at operating temp it won't idle cold. If I adjust it to idle cold it idles at 1800 PRM hot. Not a big deal, the manual choke handle is easy to use to keep some R's up at stopsigns until it's warm. Performance wise this carb added power at low R's for sure and is at least as good if not better at high R's. I went from 26 inch tires to 29s and then the stock carb died so I only got about 10 miles on the bigger tires with the stock carb. It pulls as well in the first 2 gears with the 29s as the stocker did with the 26s! I'll post some pics to show the finished install. Decided to reverse the carb from the NCO post because it put the throttle cable at the same place with the same cable route. The choke cable is nicely out of the way along the firewall. Going to research what the vacuum nipples do that got plugged and see if I can get both cold and hot idle. This is an easy fix for stock carb problems! Hardest part is finding the carb! First pic is looking at the front with the PCV hose moved over. [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2003, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

Re: Toyota carb pics and thoughts--YEEHAAA

try the pic again, front view
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1056652-Pic00006.jpg (61.1 KB, 94 views)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2003, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

cable routing and bracket
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1056654-Pic00007.jpg (62.4 KB, 88 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2003, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

choke cable routing
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1056655-Pic00013.jpg (62.6 KB, 65 views)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2003, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Nice and clean eh?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1056658-Pic00014.jpg (61.0 KB, 68 views)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2003, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

this is before... [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1056663-before.jpg (64.7 KB, 58 views)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2003, 07:07 PM

The Toy carb has a tendency to not pull all the way down at idle without a return spring on it. With the bowl turned around, it would be tough to put one on. Also, there are two screws that look like idle screws, if you adjust the wrong one, it will seem like it is adjusting the idle, but it really doesn't have full capability to do so. If I remember right, the correct screw is not the more obvious screw. Good luck, glad it worked out for you!

TGT - NCO
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2003, 08:07 PM

Man did you have as much fun as I did pulling all them vac hoses I know I did he he.Looks great I also am very happy with mine as well. [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]this buds for you.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2003, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Tim, if you wrote the tech article on the carb, thanks! good job! The throttle cam goes the whole way back no problem without another spring. This carb is slightly different than the one you used, no vent tube to the charcoal canister. No pots at all, full manual choke lever. Also mine has the 2 idle screws, one for idle and one for choke idle speed adjustment. I'll be calling you for some suspension mods soon, I owe ya some business!! [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2003, 07:06 AM
Old Hand

Thanks for the pictures. When I read your Bio I thought you would respond with some good ones. Great job, glad it worked for you. I may go this route rather than Pony route. I will get my Zuk back from body shop 1st week in April. If anybody is interested I have a Pony carb with a rebuild kit that I bought from DannyL about two years ago for over $100.00 I'll sell for $85.00 or trade for a rebuildable clean 78 Toy carb with all the brackets NCO describes in his tech article, if anybody near a large salvage yard can find one and is interested. I never installed the Pony because my Zuk carb just keeps running and running.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode