Pics of shackle reversed YJ??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2003, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

Pics of shackle reversed YJ???

Just wondering if anyone has any up close (or not) pics of their Zuk with YJ's shackle reversed. I may try to fab up a kit to see how they feel but still unsure. From the pics I've seen, wouldn't the front of the front spring be WAY too high compared to the rear of that front spring? Wouldn't that then through off the angle of the front axle? These are some things that just came to mind from the pics I've seen.
I kinda need to see the rear of the front springs when the truck is level and not flexing.

Thanks!

Cheers,
Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2003, 07:09 PM

Re: Pics of shackle reversed YJ???

Here are some pictures of mine. I hope you are on a fast connection..
I have more pics if needed.

As for the front springs, yes the rear of the spring is lower than the front, it does give you a bad driveshaft angle. To fix this you could always reweld the front perches, use shims, or do something with the shackle, like make it sit at a steeper angle, make it shorter or something. I didn't make any plates to relocate the shackle lower or further back like in the kits you can buy; I just used the stock spring hanger hole. It works good.
I had made a driveshaft using triangular PTO shating, lots of travel, but I used Suzuki yokes and flanges. The amount of travel this swap offers was too much for the stock ujoints, and ended up crushing the flange where the bearing cap goes in. You will want to buy a drive shaft that can take all that angle like AAPA's.

You'll notice in some of the pictures it doesn't look like it sits level. That's because the back is full of heavy junk. It does sit level without all the weight in the back.

If you can find 'em, use spring plates off a jeep xj, they work perfect with Suzuki axles.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2003, 09:38 PM
Keyboard Implanted

heres a few

Here its been plated with 1/8"
winch mount incorporated on top

from the front

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2003, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

Thanks a lot guys, those pics look great! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I'm going to try fabbing it up this weekend and we'll see how goes. I like the idea of running some brace between the two front springs mounts, will probably do the same and have it act as a bumper too.

Cheers!
Steve
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2003, 03:04 PM
Old Hand

**Attention we have a Hijack in progress starting now** [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
ROCKRAT, Did you just weld your winchplate onto the frame rails and accross the top of the bumper? Or did you somehow anchor it to the stock front crossmember as well? 1/4" winch plate i'm guessing? I'm doing the same thing shortly and just wondered. I Cant' tell fromt the pics.
***end Hijack**** - Thanks
Hemo here is a pic of a My YJ SR under compression
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1058297-csca2.jpg (20.6 KB, 25 views)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2003, 03:51 PM
Keyboard Implanted

damb dude your as bad as I am with caffine, Yes in away my plate is 1/4" and I cut just to the inside dimensionof the square opening so it sits betweenthe frame rails and the front 2x4 bumper not on top it is weled fully across the top and at 2" intervals underneath. there is no stock tube x-member in mine any longer it was in the way of the Toy 4x4 gear box bolt area. Hope that helps any other ?? just shout or hijack
-Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode