West Virginia 4-wheelin! Lots of pics! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2003, 01:48 PM
zukiman

West Virginia 4-wheelin! Lots of pics!

Yesterday was the first organized 4-wheeling trip I've been on since I got here in West Virginia, and I've gotta say the Mountaineer Off Roaders really showed me a great time! This group of "Good Ol' Boys" are definitely among the nicest group of people with whom I've 4-wheeled. You guys will recognize Silverzuk from this board. He's the president of the club and one of the nicest guys I've ever met. Not to mention, he can do more with a Zuk on 31's than I thought possible!

Since West Virginia hasn't seen much exposure in the 4x4 world, I thought I'd share a bunch of photos from yesterday. It'll take a while for those of you on modems to download all the images, but it's worth your patience. Obviously, the usual thick green foliage hasn't grown back yet so the trees look dead. But with the nice weather we've been having, Spring must officially be here and it's going to be turning green again real quick.

This was part of our group. We also had a Tacoma on 32" Swamper SXs that joined us after a while.

West Virginia Underwater Rockcrawling!

The red TJ blew a bead in this section. How? Those aren't real beadlocks!

There was a nice waterfall that hasn't yet been conquered by a Samurai due to their short wheelbase. I managed a wheelstand a couple times, but couldn't get a grip on the rocks with the water flowing down it:

We had some nice views at the top of the mountain:

Those are rigs from our group off in the distance:

And yes, West Virginia has rock crawling:

I guess it was bound to happen someday. I haven't broken a rear axle since 1996, and these rocks were certainly not axle-snappers, but while gently letting out the clutch, there was that dreaded "SNAP" that could've come from only one thing: an axle shaft. Specifically, the driver's side (long side) rear axle shaft.

One of the Suzuki guys had a spare axle shaft, so we winched my Zuk out of the rocks and proceeded to change the axle. It broke right at the splines, but thankfully the stub didn't get wedged in the carrier splines. Vice grips pulled it right out, so we were able to clean the carrier out and reassemble the rear end.

I couldn't have gotten it done so quickly without the help of so many of the club members, every one of whom pitched in to help. Here's a few of the friendly faces:

And we wound up with a nice sunset, getting the Zuk rolling again shortly after dark:

My locker was acting funny (or rather, not-so-funny) on 60-70 mile drive home. I'll be starting another thread to see if I anyone has any thoughts on that, but to sum it up, the passenger side of the locker slips going around corners: "pop, pop, pop" if I give it much throttle. Any advice would sure be appreciated.

All in all, everyone had a GREAT time. Besides my break, the only other vehicular down time was the blown bead on the red TJ. If anyone in the East is interested in exploring West Virginia's back country, Silverzuk is an awesome trail leader and I can guarantee you'll have fun!

-- Geoff Beasley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2003, 02:07 PM
SilverZuk

Re: West Virginia 4-wheelin! Lots of pics!

Thanks Zukiman,
I appreciate the outside exposure.
We have trails for everyone, including they guys that don't feel like they have been wheeling until they broke something.

SilverZuk
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2003, 02:53 PM
SPAMurai

Where in WV was this? southwest WV near jefferson/GW national forests?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2003, 03:00 PM
mikrosilakhan

looks liek almost perfect wheeling grounds.. Alittle of everything is the way to have it
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2003, 03:18 PM
zukiman

This was in the Gauley River area just a little way outside of Charleston. For Silverzuk's written report on the trip, click here.

-- Geoff Beasley
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2003, 03:43 PM
SilverZuk

Hey Spamurai,

Our primary trails are located between Beckley and Summersville. If youíre ever in the area, Drop me a line. If I canít take you, Iíll try to arrange someone else to guide you. If your interested in Wheeling this summer, come to our jamboree over July 4th weekend. Check out our website for details www.mountaineeroffroad.com

We have guided trail rides for all skill levels.
If you have any questions, fire away.

In a few years, and with some luck we will have a Tellico here.

We've got the trails, we just need to continue to develop them.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2003, 04:40 PM

God I miss living back there. I wish I had never moved. [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2003, 05:03 PM
Happy_Trails

(((((((((((( NICE !!!!!!!!!! ))))))))))))))))))))))

[img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]

[img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2003, 07:56 PM
supersammymd

cool pictures,i did not know WV had such good wheeling.is that place legal? how much does it cost to ride there? [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2003, 08:32 PM
Keyboard Implanted

<font color="green">Stop it, your making me want to get my Zuk back from Porter even more now! I should be ready to roll as soon as I fix my slave cyl. problem. Just waiting on payday so I can get her going again. Would love to join in on some of the fun! Looks like a blast! Thanks for the pic's! </font color>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode