Axle choices? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2003, 02:40 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Axle choices?

So, I am going to blow a ton of cash next month on a new project Samurai after I sell my Cherokee, and I woudl liek to throw some stronger axles underneath. My problem is that I don't want to swap an axle underneath that is going to be a pain in the ass.

For example, everyone is putting Toy axles underneath, and since I use to own a Toyoya PU, I understand why. BUT, my problem is that sinec Toy axles are setup for push/pull steering, its a ton of cash to switch it to crossover.

So I guess, I was looking to see if someone knows of any other axles that match up with the diffs and are also already setup for crossover steering.

Otherwise, I'll stick with Samurai axles for the time being.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2003, 03:39 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Axle choices?

Ya know, I was looking around and it looks like Sidekick stock gears are something in the low 5's. So, since I can;t find aftermarket gears for the front of a Samurai axle with that same R&P ratio, what do you do when you swap in a Sammy front axle under a Sidekick?
THe reason I ask is that I am almost thinking about getting a Sidekick instead and I don;t get what to use in the front!
Can you put sidekick gears in a Samurai carrier? So put the R&P from a rea Sidekick axle in the front of a samurai axle?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2003, 03:48 AM
Enthusiast

Front kick 3rds fit in a sami front axle I believe... Or swap the kick gears into the sami 3rd because it is not aluminum like the kicks. My 0.02

Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2003, 04:28 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Don't kick stock gears run somewhere in 5.12 range? That would be awesome to fit into a Samurai axle F/R, and it would be cheap.
Can anyone verify that it works? or how? Depending on the carrier (sammy or kick) you woudl use, it would change the locker I would have to order, that is why I ask.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2003, 08:04 AM

the sidekick frount gears will fit in the sammy's 3rd members ( with a spacer &can ).
TW
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2003, 08:47 AM
Keyboard Implanted

First, My o2 your only realy choices are either Toy or 44 both have been debated 1000 times, adavantage 1 toy come with 4:10 and can go to 5:71 all on the same carrier, 44 come with roughly 3:55 and you can go to 5:89 if you chnge the carier.
when its lifted both, either way you'll need some sort of steering x-over or histeer. you can generally find some one selling there toy x-arm for a toy in the $80-$160 range or fab your own with 2 pass side arms I do believe you can get a zuk to toy drag link through roadless gear, made by Sky. or go full histeer.allpro has arm on sale right now for I think $199. normally $249 or by there x-arm for $199.
youll have a little less fab to do on the spring hangers going Toy cnter pin alighnment hole only needs to be offset 3/8" outward to straighten your springs out. Track gears,again my o2 I wouldnt install just the 3rd in the sami housing allthough the tack/kick housing will bolt into the sam housing its alluminum and one good smack offroad and its toast, It will not fit in the rear so you need 2 front trac/kick 3rds and you need to swap the gears from one set into you zuk rear with a can and spacer, redably avail. @ any vendor the stock trac/kick gears go from 4:30,4:62,5:12, and on other that I dont recall, aftermarket through calmini you can get 4:57, discontinued 5:38, but they do offer 5:83, but I m guessing the pinion head is the size of a pencil eraser not very strong.
Since you say you have had toys in the past then you know you can prety much run a 38 on them under the weight of a truck without probs, so under the zuk they would be indestructable, trhe only person i know thar snaps birfs under his zuk is oilburner and I think it has more to do with the torque KLUNE-V and a vw diesel. remember the smallest diam. of a toy axle is still larger then the largest diam of a 44 So if your looking for an axle that is not going to be a pain in the aRs, just do the toy and suck it up . you can modifey a turd but they are still turds unless this is strreet only or you stay under 32" tire then the zuk axles kick ass AGAIN my experience and o2 Pay now pay later either way youll pay
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2003, 04:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yea, that is a good point. The only reason I was thinking about staying with the stock axles for now was that I was interested in the gears they already came with stock. But, you are right . . . the toy axles are tough, especially when throwing some marfields in the front.
Plus, starting out with 4.10's ain't bad. I just wanted to have a good gear reduction in the axles because no one makes a very low sidekick gear replacement . .. like they do for Sammys.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2003, 05:48 PM
Keyboard Implanted

marfields are 'so last year!' as my daughter would say. Longfields are better and cheaper I think.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2003, 10:03 PM
Keyboard Implanted

You are correct and the new clearanced long fields give you beter turning radius, i dont recall to what degree. But in my opinion thats the only thing a 44 front has over a Toy Front is turning radius.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2003, 10:25 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

howdy,
i have a great set of d44 in the garage in the raffters. also have a set of yj springs. but i stick with my sammi's axles cause i want them to completely fail on me. i have broken axle housens, birfleids, and shhh yes ripped some perches off. but i stand next to my sammi axle not moven with the punches. i do this for only one reason. everyone switch to different axles and sells there stockers cheaper that s_ _ _ _. so this is a plus for me. but i guess someday i will break down and throw the d44 in, but i have always wanted to do 30's, or 10 bolt GM front axle with a 10 bolt rear axle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode