steering column question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2003, 02:37 PM
slozuki

steering column question

hi guys, I'm posting this question on a couple of different boards for max exposure. if you've seen it elsewhere thanks for looking. I recently purchased an '88 samurai and it has one annoying problem that I'm going to try and figure out and was wondering if anyone could offer some advice. it came with a two inch calmini lift and 235/75r/15 tires. when I test drove it it had a loud rubbing noise coming from the steering column. the seller told me it was caused by the larger than stock tires that were aired down to like fifteen psi, (for a better ride) which caused too much stress on the manual steering column. he said if I aired the tires back up to 35 psi the rubbing noise would go away but the ride would be much harsher. well.... I aired the tires up when I got it home and guess what? it still made the noise. I then had all new 205/75r/15 tires installed and it still makes the noise. it now steers easier with the smaller tires, but I believe the rubbing noise has actually gotten louder with the addition of the 205's. I'm pretty sure that the noise is coming from the upper part of the steering column (inside the cab) but I could be wrong. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks, dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2003, 02:41 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: steering column question

From What I've gathered so far there is a bearing surface that is on the upper part of the column that dries out and gives that Ddddrrurmmm Dddddrrrumm sound when you turn lock to lock... I don't think that you can lube it but I might be wrong... I understand that this is a common malady with the zuks

[img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2003, 02:58 PM
Veteran

Do a search for "steering column":
http://bbs.off-road.com/ubbthreads/s...ue#Post1041804
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2003, 03:42 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Take can of lubricant and spray the steering shaft where it comes out of the firewall in the engine compartment.
should fix ya right up newbie.. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2003, 03:56 PM
slozuki

excellent! thanks for the speedy replies everyone. I'll shoot some lube in there and see what happens. the sammy needed new tires anyhow [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2003, 04:23 PM
Enthusiast

i had the same problem in one of my zuks, grease the u-joint in the steering shaft and i'd bet the noise go's away. [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2003, 10:38 PM

you would be better off in the long run to take the steering wheel off, unscrew the light/signal switch block and slide it forward (away from the dash), and put some good grease in there on those bearings and work it into the bearing there... also as the other posting that Mrsurly gave a link to.

put some good chain grease or something that will stay around, not wd40 that dissipates. but get that in the sleeve bushing at the bottom of the shaft, and get the u-joints loosend up.

your problems will be gone for the groaning sounds...

good luck.

let us all know how it turns out.

thanks
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2003, 11:01 PM

You mean that moaning noise isn't normal? Every Zuk I've had has made that. I call it "Personality."
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2003, 09:08 AM
scott400f

same problem last week guys on the posts are correct spray the area where the shaft comes throught the firewall and it'll be gone!!

I used a white lithium spray grease goes on as a liquid and then thickens.

Scott [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2003, 01:29 PM
slozuki

thanks guys, excellent call! I squirted some tef-gel up there which also goes on thin and then thickens to a grease like consistency. I just gave it a few shots as I rotated the steering from stop to stop and it totally killed the groan! maybe everytime I change the oil I'll give the column a squirt or two and hopefully that'll keep her quiet for good. see ya, dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode