Who tries to go light? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2003, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

Who tries to go light?

After reading the replies to Crowhorse's excellent thread about what do you carry, I got to wondering if anyone tries to travel light. As horsepower challenged as Zuks are it seems funny to add lots of gear to haul around onroad, or even offroad. I'm putting together a little kit that fits on the parcel shelf, and a strap, and some duct tape . Can't rebuild a diff with it but that's what the strap and cellphone are for. [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img] DO YOU TRAVEL LIGHT?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2003, 08:27 PM

Re: Who tries to go light?

As I mentioned in the Crow Horse thread, I carry "The Long Hard Ride, Ghost Riders in the Sky, and Dead Man's Curve." Tunes are all you need. My 87 tintop is a 200,000 miler, I've owned it since new, and have never once been left stranded. It has the original tool kit in a pouch (always been enough) and a jack. That takes care of it all!" [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2003, 09:34 PM
Old Hand

Only one time has my Zuk let me down. That was on the way to the garage to replace a driveshaft. Broke at 45 MPH fell down picked up zuk flipped an destroyed my transmission. Cost me bunches to fix that was before I found all of the fellow Zukers on this BBS. Total cost $2300.00. by a so-called professional ytansmission shop. The next driveshaft I bought from Dave in AZ and I replaced it in my driveway. Tools I take along usually just me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2003, 11:45 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I REALLLLLY notice if I have ANY extra weight in the samurai.
Basic metric tool kit, super comealong, strap, and misc rigging gear and I'm set.
Wonder what she weighs.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2003, 01:46 AM

Um, My list on Crows thread IS traveling light. [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] With my previous rigs I probably carried 300
lbs of stuff minimum on trips, the other road box must weigh 75 by itself. 106 lbs seems like nothing
now! My worst trip was about 2 weeks worth of racing, (7 races in 10 days or so) I was carrying some
race car stuff, but I had over 2000 lbs of tools tires and parts. (I burned thru all 8, yes eight, spare tires
finishing with only the 4 on the truck I think 6 of them were high speed blowouts.) That was almost
30 years ago...
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2003, 05:11 AM
Can't Get Enough

my zuk was mostly lightened by rust...and ask anyone that seen it at the melt they can tell you....

but before i pulled it from the road for a body swap it had my skynyrd,aerosmith,ac/dc, and kiss tapes, a tow strap, a basic tool kit, 2 - 14' lengths of chain, and a set of jumper cables....what more do you need..?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2003, 08:16 AM

Extremely light! No back seat, no front bumper. Chopped rear bumper. How do those guys carry all that crap around.
If im going on a road trip I bring some tools, but just the essentials. Otherwise, just around town driving I dont carry anything. With the huge snows we had I did carry a tow chain and a shovel, but that stuff was used on other vehicles, not my own.

Kamazuki [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2003, 08:59 AM

i usualy carry alot because the others i wheel with come totally unprepared if i were to go some place where i had a tow rig most of my stuff would stay behind if the weather was good that would include doors taigate hard top ( i cracked it last good run)i would carry my tools high lift and my reg jack and straps no spare i have on board air and done have the apropriate size spare yet any ways
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2003, 09:10 AM

Besides all the replacement parts and tools you need when rockcrawling,food and at least 5 gallons of water(and 5 gallons of beer in most cases [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]) I started to buy backpacking gear to replace my older and larger camp gear. light weight tents,mini stoves and lanterns,small sleeping bags really help with the limited space we have to deal with. I get all my gear,tools, and spare parts in to a single truck box that fits under a bed rack, and the ice chest on the rack. It's been through the Rubicon like that with no problems.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1050850-46794437ISnmWx_ph.jpg (50.2 KB, 61 views)
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2003, 09:34 AM
Enthusiast

That's a great picture.

I agree with the backpacker philosophy.

We used to hump an old tent that was basically the big, ole "cabana" off a 1970s VW Westfalia. We started using a MEC 2.5 person tent for me, the spousal unit and the dog. Works great and I have all my cargo space back with some to spare (LWB). Once my little guy gets to be about 2 or so we'll start at it again in a big way. Might have to get a slightly larger tent if the dog is still around.

Another thing to think about: food. Pack backpacking style food too. We got away from keeping bulky stuff like beer and and fresh meat chilled in a big cooler. It just isn't space efficient.

A flask of "good stuff" with some orange crystals is good enough for a few drinks around the fire in the evening. I found that once you got past 30 years old, waking up hung over in a sleeping bag and then wheeling all day really was too hard on your system. I tend to drink stuff straight these days.

For food, mostly everything is packed dry and is very small to pack. We will keep fresh meat type stuff for the first night in a collapsible cooler bag. It gets used the first night so you aren't humping it around everywhere after that. Have a look at some backpacking cook books. It is amazing the kind of meals you can have cooking that way. My wife is a genius when it comes to this stuff...

The next big bulky thing is water. Not much you can do about that until you can find a solution to the recursive problem of powdered water crystals.

Spares is spares. I want to make some between the frame rails compartments for packing axle shafts and such.

Just my experience.

[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode