Fish tailing Suzuki - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2003, 10:46 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Fish tailing Suzuki

I drove my 88 Suzuki over 120 miles in the ice and snow and I had it in four wheel drive and the samuri keeps fishtailing. I had lost control four times doing about 45mph. There was pick-ups passing me by in 2 wheel drive.
my samuri rear end is sliding side to side. I had bought this Suzuki last year and I don't think that it has a locker on it. I know it does not have a locker in the rear.
Can it be the tires that I have on it? I bought all four 205/75/15 tires from a guy taking the tires off of his sidekick. They are all different kinds of tires though. But they are still kinda new. I was doing 45mph and hit the midian sideways and put her up on two wheels. Do all the suzuki's behave like this in 4x4 in the ice and snow? I still have to drive back in this stuff and I am kinda leary bout it. I have jacked up the rear end before and spun the wheels. I think that the rear is open-diff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2003, 10:49 AM

Re: Fish tailing Suzuki

are you sure you were really driving in 4wd?
do you have manual hubs? did you lock them before?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2003, 11:19 AM

sounds like you were in 2wd instead of 4wd. did you verify that the front wheels were grabbing? Hubs locked? I'd say those tires don't help either. just my .02 cents
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2003, 11:21 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I know that I was in 4x4. I seen the front tire throwing snow.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2003, 11:25 AM
Keyboard Implanted

When I had had the stock 205's on mine slid around alot too. I slowed down a bit and it got better. Since I put the mud tires on (235's) on ice and a little snow it still slids a bit but in the deep stuff it does great. We had about 17-20" a couple weeks ago and it just cranked along. I think it is a combo of tires and speed. Jim
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2003, 11:26 AM
ronin

If you do indeed have different brands of tire on each wheel, then you could also have slightly different diameters. No two tire manufacturers tire sizes are exactly the same. For instance, one company's 30" may only measure 29.5" while another company's 30" may actually measure 30.2". That could induce some strange handling on the snow/ice.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2003, 11:31 AM
flatbroke

sounds like ya need to slow down! remember how light you are?I drove in northern ontario for years on 205's,215',and 235's,and i was the guy driving past everyone else.the 215's were the best as they were snow tires,and got me everywere. [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2003, 11:31 AM

Welcome to the short wheelbase [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2003, 11:36 AM

well, we've had tons of snow the past few weeks and i've never experienced that. I couldnt belive how great the lil stocker did on snow covered icey roads. Although I do in the trail beater with the welded rear. In your profile you stated that the axles were pulled when you bought it, was this b/c teh previous owner was tinkering with the diff? was it a trail beater? or a daily driver? jack up the rear of the sammi, have someone hold 1 tire to keep it from moving, then try to turn the other. If you can keep one from turning, then the rear is open.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2003, 11:44 AM
SPAMurai

light weight and short wheelbase will spin you around pretty quickly. it was hard for me to get used to in the snow going from a 4-runner to a sammy. your sammy will go ANYWHERE in the snow/ice, as long as you go slow! when you drive a sammy, patience is a must...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode