help - loosing cooler fluid - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2003, 04:17 AM Thread Starter

help - loosing cooler fluid

plse give me some hints.

ok it started 3 months ago, the time when it had -20degrees and my cooler was frozen...

after that everything seems to be fine. after 1 month it ran hot again - looked there was no cool fluid in. ok put in new one, and a month later the same...
it started to get more worse, last month i need to put in new fluid every week and since today i need to refill every 40km...

i cannot see exactly where it is coming from. the cooler itself looks dry, it seems to come out of the engine...

plse can someone give me some hints, where to look at,

i see two lines where the cooler is connected to the engine. on is at the top and one is at the bottom.
where is the water-pump locatet?
is it on top?

the top as well as the bottom line also seems to be dry.

it seems to drop out of the engine...
man, i am so frustrated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2003, 09:23 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: help - loosing cooler fluid

Well, since we have no idea what year/model you have , I'll take a stab at it from your pic . If it's a 1.3L , the water pump is on the front of the engine . In the back of that pump is a tube that the lower radiator hose connects to . If you froze it up , there is a chance either that tube is cracked or the o-ring blew out , you'll have to look close to see where it's coming from . There should also be a bypass hose up to the intake, and a line to the water choke off of the rear of the tube as well as a line to the heater core . Any one of those could be bad or split . Hope this helps,
Sarge
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2003, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

thx Sarge for your reply...

it is a 1.3L year 89 with a carb.

seems that i didnt have a close look cause i was in a hurry in the morning - and still sleeping *gg*

will have a closer look tonight - hopefully it is something i can reuse from my wreck in my barn. lets see...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2003, 11:40 AM

Sarge's suggestions are all accurate but I have to suggest a couple more things to be looking for if you have a continual water loss problem.

Since you mentioned that it began with a freeze up, I would look closely at the freeze plugs on the driver's side of the block. One of them could easily have pushed out and started leaking. Since its been run without coolant and gotten hot, a bad head gasket would also be a possibility. A compression and leak down check will help determine that.

Lastly, my Tracker has a hairline crack in the block, near the oil pressure sending unit that allows coolant to leak out under pressure continually. Its been over a year now and its driven daily but I have to top up the radiator every 2 days or so. Good Luck!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2003, 04:20 AM Thread Starter

ok it was definitly the water pump.

i first just gave a new gasket on the pump and i recognized that it didnt work. so i replaced the water pump with the one of my wreck-zuk and it worked...

it was dry for 2 days and today it started again leaking..
man i am so angry...

what do you thing what is more likely:
the first pump broke due to the freeze over time...
and the second pump which was standing now for 3 years was fine and worked for 2 days but due it was not used it was porous and broke...

or
that the freeze destroyed the cooler and metall pices from the cooler destroyed the water pump, and then the second water pump. but i flushed the complete water out 2 times before i installed the new used pump...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode