Same damn fuel problem?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2003, 11:27 PM Thread Starter

Same damn fuel problem??

Okay a little while back I posted about when I step on the gas the engine just bogs out like its starving for gas. i put some STP in my tank and it didn't do it since.

Tonight we got some snow so I went out to test the ole Zuk and see how it would do, same damn thing. Right when I let the clutch out and I need power it bogs out and dies, then it will fire right back up and seem fine. It will do it off and on. Am I getting water in my fuel line? Ihave a locking gas cap is water possibly getting inside through the keyhole or something? The problem seems sporadic but its getting on my nerves, seems like it looses power when I need it the most.

[img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2003, 12:01 AM

Re: Same damn fuel problem??

Couple of possibilities, I have had this off and on for a year or more, and I have heard of more than a few
with the same prob. Keeping gas line anti freeze in seems to help quite a bit

Water:
You can pump it in when you get gas, even though they are supposed to have floating pickups
to avoid the problem. Or it t can condense when the humidity is bad. Keeping a tank full helps.

Fine grit in the carb:
This might float around and get sucked into the emulsion tubes, pluging the fine holes. It would look
almost like mud. Hard to stop with most filters. I have cleaned my carb of this crud a couple of times.
I'm real suspisions of this one being my prime culpret. my webber on the ranchero does it occasionally too.

Intermitant grounds:
Had the dist to body ground down to its last strand and it ran like $#%& till it was replaced.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2003, 07:03 AM
Keyboard Implanted

try replacing your fuel filter, I had asimiliar prob, with my Toyoa truck and kept putting it off untul 1 day on the toll way I couldnt hold 60mph and the rpm would drop to an idle when you tryed to accelerate, I ended up pulling over cause the truck wouldnt even hold 35mph. reached under and pulled the fuel filter and replaced it with the body of a fountain pen just to get home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2003, 08:00 AM
Keyboard Implanted

If you are running a Weber, this is a common problem in damp/cold climates. It might be carb icing. Like Wayne said, gas line anti-freeze will help out as well as a functional pre-heat tube to the air filter. Without these, mine had some bad carb icing......
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2003, 08:45 PM

Mine is doing the same thing and it's driving me nuts. New fuel filter, fairly new fuel pump, new gas cap, dry gas etc etc. went away for a bit now it's back. I noticed it came when I went over a speedbump and when I was following a jeeps tracks in deep snow, kinda lurching from side to side so was thinking may be water or dirt in the float bowl getting sloshed around and sucked up. Drained the bowls and put in more drygas, so far it's ok. I'm thinking the stock carb with the fuel metering solenoid may be really sensitive to dirt or water. REALLY don't want to rebuild this carb.. Gonna buy "good gas" for a couple tanks and see what happens. [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2003, 11:04 PM

i get a similar problem but only when the temp out side is like 45 or below. Like at night on the way home and it is colder out i will be drivin along just fine and i notice the heater starts blowing cold and the engine temp gauge starts droping slowly till it is like 1/8 up. Then i start loosing power like crazy until it starts sputtering then i have to down shift and eventually i am doin like 30 (if it doesnt stall). Usually i shut the engine of for a couple minutes and start it up and 50% of the time it works fine all the way home. The exhaust also starts to smell funny. It reminds me of when i was a kid and the cars were mostly still carburated and they would smell funny in the winter. Its kinda like it is running rich but it doesnt smell like unburned fuel. I would like to know what that is too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode