rear locker - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2003, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

rear locker

Hi Guys, just registered with yhis board. There seems to be a lot of experience here. I do fun days and the odd trial here in the UK, with a stripped out caged samy, all mods so far are cheap. As ime unlikley to be able to afford a locker kit ime thinking of welding the diff side gear to the side cap of the diff. This looks dead easy have you guys any comments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2003, 01:34 PM
HankS

Re: rear locker

You dont really have to go that far. Just weld the spider gears to the side gears and your good to go. I welded one up yesterday.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2003, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

Wow this is some fast board,
Thanks Hanks,
I see these Land rovers firing air lockers in & out all the time whilst off road, I can not see why not to save £££/$$$ and just weld up? Is there an off road disadvantage to being permanently rear locked that I have missed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2003, 02:12 PM
Bootsy

Here is some tech on welding a Samurai rear diff. http://www.island4x4.com/4x4tech/axl...ff1/index.html
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2003, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Bootsy, Itís a method I had not thought off, thatís three ways so far.
[img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2003, 10:29 PM
lilzeus

There are major advantages to having an open diff while offroad versus being welded. I have been welded in the back in the past so I am speaking from experience. When you are welded in the back you loose a lot of steering radius. You will find yourself having to make multi-point turns whilst welded versus open. This is especially true on dry dirt, and other surfaces which you have a lot of traction. It ends up being a lot of extra effort, no matter which way you look at it. HOWEVER, being locked in the rear affords you such an increase in traction in the harder and more difficult terrain that it often times outweighs the disadvantages. The thing about the Rovers having the air lockers means that they have the best of both worlds: extreme traction when needed, and ease of maneuvering when needed as well.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2003, 11:14 PM
HankS

I have a true track in the front and a detroit in the rear of my 98 Discovery, I wouldn't trade them for anything. Even thought it's just a cruiser now that I got the Zuk!! It's one capeable grocery getter!!

If you can afford one ARB or selectable locker, put it in the front and weld/spool the rear. You'll have traction just dripping from your Samurai!! [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2003, 04:11 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the help guys.
It seems as though a selectable locker is the way to go, ill have to save up !
Ill try the weld up suggested by Bootsy first just to wet my appetite and see just how much extra traction I get. Itís a easily reversible next to no cost mod. If the extra traction is addictive then ill find a selectable locker as I donít wont to lose turn radius for the trailing. We trial through tight canes here in the UK, much as I suspect you do over there.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2003, 02:25 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I've got a lockrite locker, works great, never had a welded.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2003, 07:14 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I welded my rear end when I built my hybrid and I love it. I live where there is snow and I find that there is no problem with it either. I find that it's easy to control and don't even have to use 4wd in most cases. Now off road....it realy does the job. Although like previously mentioned it does have a tendency to push straight, but that might just be the front locker ... [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Expect chirps on dry pavement and added tire wear. I doubt I'll ever buy a locker for the rear of any rig again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode