what side does the proportioning valve go on - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2003, 12:11 AM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

what side does the proportioning valve go on

howdy,
i need to know what side the proportioning valve goes on for the rear disc brake kit. yes this sounds lame, but i am haven a problem with my spidertrax rear disc kit, and i don't have install sheets. right now the proportioning valve is on the line close to the firewall. and i don't have any brake. but if i pump them i get brake, both with the engine running and not. there is no air in the lines. i have bleed all the bleeders, yes all five. and no there are no leaks, the system will hold pressure. i tested the brake booster as per the fsm, and the same with the master clynder. so i have given up, and tomarrow will most likely just ripe everthing out and replce it with others. and sarge if you read this i am taken out the valves because i got my sj410 drum brake, and i think i might have some air hiden up there. but i guess it just time to break out the brake pump and power bleed the hell out of them. [img]images/graemlins/chair.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2003, 01:05 AM

Re: what side does the proportioning valve go on

Jim, make sure the bleeders on the rear calipers are at the highest point on the caliper.

Do you lose your pedal if you punp it up and leave it for a couple of min? (No driving?) If
you do it's definitly air. If you dont look at the runout on the rear rotors. on that subject, did you
mess with the fromt calipers or rotors during this excersize? It's late and my mind is numb, thats
all I can come up with for now...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2003, 03:40 AM
Skip

I've never been able to effectively bleed Sami brakes and I've been able to do all types of brakes without
this frustration. I tried a vacumn power bleeder. Worked great first time. They aren't that expensive. I
just did the same conversion with a used Spidertrax kit and haven't had any problems [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2003, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

howdy,
when i did the rear discs all i messed with was the rear and the lines just off the master. the run out right a about 9.87. i can pump the pedal up and walk away, when i come back it is all gone. and if i drive it i need to pump the brakes up just to stop.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2003, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

howdy,
i have the brake hand vac pump. i just hate to break it out all the time. and sometimes i get everthing to work just usen the one-man system.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2003, 11:26 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Just out of curiosity, is the lines on your truck split front to rear , or corner to corner? You may have to crawl under it and trace down the steel lines to find out , some of them were set up to split the braking system diagonally . If that is the case , your proportioning valve is probably causing the problem , since you lose the pedal height in trying to meter the entire system back through the front brakes .
Sarge
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2003, 11:29 AM
Skip

If you can pump up a hard pedal, walk away for a while and come back to no or a soft pedal then you still
have air in the system, guaranteed, or a leak. A pressure beelder ($$$$) or a vacumn one like I bought for
about $19.00 will do the trick. First time I did my stock brake setup I couldn't get it to bleed right. A guy
loaned me his vacumn pump. I didn't believe him, thought he was bs'ing me big time. 15 minutes I had a
hard pedal and good brakes. I now own one.
Good luck, let us know the outcome
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2003, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

howdy,
kevin the brakes are split front and rear. single line to back. the old drum brakes had only the bleeder on the passenger rear drum for the back.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2003, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

howdy,
skip i have a snap-on hand brake vac pump. i hate to use it because the dang thing just looks so nice and pretty. but i guess i need to stop looken at it with love and use the dang thing.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2003, 05:14 PM

On my 87 I have the proportioning valve on the outlet most distant from the firewall, but then I have the Pork Barrel Line Locker solenoids in the mix also. Sounds like brakes are going to be fun when I pull it out of the garage next month. [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode