REBILDING a 1.3 HEAD recomendations - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2003, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

REBILDING a 1.3 HEAD recomendations

I need to rebild my head (have it rebilt that is).
I would like to put in a 1.6 exhaust valve, cam and possible have it decked.
I ask about the SUMO TWO but didn't get very good recomadations as far as timely deliver (or any delivery) also some defects in workmaship. [img]images/graemlins/spank.gif[/img]
How much can I have it decked and still have an interferance free moter
what would be the best cam.
I run it on and off road but nothing to crazy.
any other recomendations concerning this will be apreciated!!!! [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2003, 02:26 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: REBILDING a 1.3 HEAD recomendations

Unless you plan on buying an adjustable cam sprocket , I'd stay away from decking the head any more than necessary to make sure it's flat and parallel . Make sure the machinist understands that the tolerances have to be followed to the letter, or it will have problems . Hawk, Asian, and Isky all have torquer cams , pick whomever you want . The Isky really doesn't seem to run much over stock , it's pretty mild . Asian's mid and low cams seem to work pretty well , or at least from the reports I've heard . Don't know much about Hawk's , and I think Petro even has one out , forgot to mention them . Anyone else, too , LOL . The valve springs can get pretty weak , and will limit it's sealing as well as upper rpm's if they are out of spec . The valve guides have to be done correctly, if not it will smoke a lot . Those guides are to be set at 7mm , not the SAE equivalent , it's not tight enough . Also, if the guides have to be replaced, about the only way to remove them is to heat the head to about 300* in an oven, then drive them out while it's hot . Ask my wife , it wasn't fun . The new ones go in the same way, but have to be driven down to a specified height . Then they need to be reamed to the proper diameter . Make sure the machine shop is setup to square and set the exhaust valve seats in place so the geometry isn't fouled up . Rocker shafts , arms, and end tips have to be carefully checked for wear , especially the tips . Head rebuilding on these can add up to $400 real fast , just for parts alone since it's not the everyday friggin Chevy . Have you checked with Reynold's Machine? He builds probably the highest hp Suzuki engines out there . www.reynoldsmachine.com
Sarge
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2003, 01:47 AM
Old Hand

Re: REBILDING a 1.3 HEAD recomendations

well, I have made a mistake by using another machine shop to try to catch up with all the orders we get for these SUMO II heads.....I also made the mistake with these kids....

Now I am back to being the Lone Ranger....doing all I can all by myself....so if I am hard to get in contact with..that means I am busy getting parts out to guys in need.

as for the head....those bigger valves work great with the right cam! I am not to happy with a few of those adjustable cam sprockets...seen some wear out too fast. I think some guys think too hard..trying to get all the poop they can from these engines......some things just aren't cost affective (or is it effective?)......

you can (and will) get a head from where ever you want....but I have guys calling me that got one from another shop and side by side they didn't do as well as the ones their friend got from us.....oh, and they paid more for that head......ouch!

I wouldn't mill the head more than .050 and you can get the same effect by making your own adjustable cam sprocket....but all that does is dial your power in at a givin RPM

We (the guys at the machine shop I use) added something to our SUMO II heads.... I am not saying what it is.....but it gives them a little more power and it's included free!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode