Bolt on SPOA ????? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2003, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

Bolt on SPOA ?????

I just picked up a clean 87 that has the RRO 5" bolt on SPOA kit installed. Anyone out there have any experiance with this kit? Should I tack weld the pearches to the axle or just leave it alone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2003, 08:25 PM
SilverZuk

Re: Bolt on SPOA ?????

I have never seen the kit up close, but often wondered the same.

I would be inclined to weld the whole thing, and grind my old mounts off for additional clearance.

But then again, they say it will work.

(you mean you actually ordered something and recieved it from RRO, How long ago did you order it?)

post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2003, 08:43 PM
Keyboard Implanted

those peches should definatly be welded
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2003, 08:44 PM

No, absolutely not. It is totally unsafe. Unbolt it immediately and ship it to me so that I can destroy it before somebody gits hurt. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I don't know the answer. I'm just a jester. I'll go sit back down now.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2003, 09:05 PM
Keyboard Implanted

You might remove the spoa, install a generic weld on spoa or home brew kit, and sell the bolt on kit for high $$..
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2003, 10:28 PM

If it makes you fill conforatable tack weld them but there designd too not be need the ride in your old perches upside down alot of people running them never herd any problems out of them
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2003, 07:57 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The bolton kit was designed to make an SPOA easy for this without welding access. It is very strong and very realiable. The main drawback is that the ubolts still point down which does take away from clearance over what a normal SPOA setup has. Perhaps for this reason, you may want to weld the spring pads and flip the ubolt plates to the top. You will gain approx and extra 1.25" of clearance directly under the axle.

The drawback with this is that you would need to fabricate or pickup some shock mounts that would put the shocks back under your axle where they are now.

If you have any questions about the modification of one of our lifts or other's involving the bolton system on your vehicle, please feel free to email me direct.
[email protected]

post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2003, 10:15 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Don't worry about it as long as you check the Ubolts once in awhile for tightness you will be fine. My nephew has a kit on his drive the hell out of it(Probley 5-600 miles a week)
and other than the ubolts being loose no problems. (And that was his fault.)
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2003, 01:00 PM
Can't Get Enough

Me personally i would weld them to the tube....

I have seen the Bolt on kit your refering too and unless they have changed them since the older kits i wasnt too impressed. the idea has a lot of merit, but i thought the pads were kinda thin. I can also see the argument that under heavy wheeling that it can tear the original spring pad off the housing. cause you got to remember that these trucks are not spring chickens anymore...your working with possibly something that has rusted and something that is over 10 years old. Welds tend to fatigue and work harden to some extent over time. and with the bolt on kit you are now reversing the stress on the welds by 100%. and now the weight is totally on the welds, not supported over the whole tube like it was in the original configuration.

I bought the Breeze kit with the 4.5" pads and man i got to tell yea....100% Grade A Beef! they are made from 1/4" thick steel and are longer then the stock pads.... they welded on very nicely and after abusing my zuk i havent had any trouble with them.

again..not tryng to start a pissing contest again i am just stateing what i saw [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2003, 01:02 PM
Can't Get Enough

actually with the way the original pads are on the axle you really dont gain any significant clearance. the curve of the Ubolts stick up about as far as the pad does on the bottom

edit:

sorry after rereading glenn's post i didnt realize that the ubolts were upsidedown with the bolt on kit...either way though you still wouldnt gain anythiing from cutting off the original perches....id leave them there in case you ever want to take the kit out or if you sell the zuk and want to bring it back down.....always leave your options as open as possible cause you never know what the future might hold..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode