Timing belt Question... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Timing belt Question...

I decide to pull the cover off and take a look to see what it looked like and if it was not off a tooth. I have always found the engine to be sluggish and know it has a new head, so thought maybe when installed....Anyway I found out the bottom of the cover is..............gone. I also found my soure of oil ..crank seal.
The next thing I noticed is that the spring on the tensioner is absent and the adjuster is all the way at the end of the slot as if the belt is way loose. Since I always change engines not rebuild them, is the tensioner at the end of the slot an indication that it's stretched out? Is that spring have a certain tension or can I ball park it when I install the new one?

Oh in closing the breaker bar on the frame/inner fender and hit the key works great to break the center bolt on the pulley loose..... [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 06:42 PM
lilzeus

Re: Timing belt Question...

You would know if it were a tooth off because the mark on the cam and the mark on the crank would not be pointing at their respective marks exactly. Crank's mark is in the up position. Cam has a mark in the up position as well. Although, keep in mind that if both are pointing up that this is NOT TDC.

As far as the slot thing goes, I would replace the belt with a new one and buy a new spring from somewhere like Sears hardware, or a hardware store. It sure doesnt put a lot of pressure on there so I wouldnt be too worried.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 08:21 PM

Re: Timing belt Question...

>>The next thing I noticed is that the spring on the tensioner is absent and the adjuster is all the way at the end of the slot as if the belt is way loose.<<

The slot part could be because of a few things.

1:The wheel on the tensioner is worn down.

2:The belt is worn/stretched.

3:The head, block, or both have been machined down, which would also change (retard) cam timing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode