Off Roading Forums banner

Fan clutch question

687 views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  CrowHorse 
#1 ·
My fan clutch seems to be worn out. While the engine is running i can stick my finger in it and it will stop. I have also noticed about a 20 degree rise in temperature over the last month or so. Would it hurt anything to make the clutch rigid?
What would be the best way to make it solid? The biggest concern, I guess, would be whether or not the bolts were strong enough not to shear upon acceleration or deceleration. Does any vendors make anything like a flex fan for a Zuk?

Thanks,
Brad

#2 ·
Mine was shot to, I took apart the fan and put a bolt through that made it solid. If I were you i would just buy a new cluch fan or ele. fan. My zuk if for offroad use only but when I drive it down the road to get to the trial I will not heat up. I going to try and find a good clutch fan and replace my bad one. Just do it right and get a new fan. It will save you in the long run. When you put a bolt through the fan clutch it probably will throw the balance off and will wreck your water pump. just my 2 cents.

#3 ·
I agree with you about doing it right the first time. Getting the clutch perfectly balanced would be tough and it does not take being out of balance by very much at all to destroy other parts over time. I prefer to replace the clutch with a new one, but cannot afford the $130 price tag. Anybody got a good one laying around the garage that they want to sale?

#4 ·
i tried the bolt thru thing the piece inside is hardened so if you drill the wrong spot you end up with junk i built s solid drive adapeter with out any problems with it for the last couple years the best way to lock it up would be to open the cluch case up clean it with somthing (asitone?)and fill with cilicone that was my thought after i screwed up mine worse it will do is start spinning again i have since replaced the direct drive one with a wore clutch and a small electric fan ( the electric fan i got wasnt enough by itself)

#6 ·
I don't know what a fan clutch costs these days, but if its any thing close to $100, consider an
aftermarket electric fan. You will gain a bit of power, and have the wiring options to manually cut it
off in cold weather, or for river crossings. Just a thought.

#7 ·
Crow,
I'll gladly pay you for it. There is no sense in giving away parts that you had to pay for. Tell me what you want for it and what it will cost to ship it and where to send the money to and I'll get you some money in the mail.
You pulling my butt out of the fire is getting to be a regular event. Thanks

#8 ·
Outlaw,
I agree, an electric fan would be the best way to go in my opinion. The price of a new clutch at Advance Auto parts is $130. I have not looked into pricing for an electric fan but I'm sure it won't be any higher in price. As for gaining horsepower, who needs more horsepower? I've got a stock 1.3! LOL

#10 ·
You know I thought that the fan clutch was supposed to be that lightly actioned... I've been around several samis and all of them are thataway... Don't tell me that they're all worn out...

I do it to make conversation... most gearheads go nuts when you do something like that

#11 ·
They are supposed to slip some, but mine only turns at about 100 rpm's no matter how fast the engine is turning. When I tooling down the highway the temp is fine, but I've noticed an increase when it is idleing. I'm sure this will amplify once summer gets here. My plans are to go to Zuwharrie this spring and I am trying to fix all of the little things before that get here. I don't want something minor like this to get in my way, I want to break something big.

#14 ·
I have tested mine by putting something in front of the radiator, like a bath towel or cardboard. They start the engine and wait for it to heat up. I let mine go about 2/3 to 3/4 up the gauge. If the fan is working, it will start to lock. You will hear it pick up speed. Pull the air block out and see if it cools down quick.

In my wife's Sammy, only the center of the radiator is plugged. It will not lock the fan at any temp. This is something else you should check. When the engine is hot, only the outsides of the radiator get hot, keeping the clutch cold preventing lockup.

Just a thought.

WOW! A free fan. You guys are truly great people.

#18 ·
Crow,
My fan is good. It is my clutch that is shot.

I wish I'd known you needed seatbelts about six months ago. I removed the seatbelts from that back of mine and trashed them. They were in good visual condition, but they would have needed cleaning up. I do have a rear seat and bracket if you need it. It is gray cloth and in pretty good shape. The only thing it is missing is the two pieces that bolt to the floor in the front of the seat. I know where a parts truck is that may have a set on it. I have to go over there for a couple of parts myself. I'll look while I'm there. Anything else you need?

#20 ·
Thanks Brad, Yota... All I need are the belts......

I'll post the fan clutch tomorrow and you should have it before the middle of next week.........

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.