Sammy almost caught fire.. .Help! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2003, 03:32 PM Thread Starter

Sammy almost caught fire.. .Help!

Well, I drove the sammy to the exhaust shop to get the rest of my exhuast welded back on.. For those of you that read my last post, I just completed my 1.6 16V swap and it is totally lacking power. With the exhuast on I could finally tell that it is idling a bit rough. Went down the road a few blocks to the gas station... Smoke was pouring out from underneath. The cat converter was glowing red hot! Yikes.. Does this mean the motor is running too rich? Lean? The motor itself was running cool - just 1/4 of the temp guage about where the 1.3 motor ran. I'm thinking the ECU is fried, and sending the wrong amount of fuel, causing the cat to work overtime and overheat. Any other suggestions? [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2003, 04:09 PM
Pooh-Bah

Re: Sammy almost caught fire.. .Help!

trying to remember, I had to fix a problem on a few ford vans that were running like crap and the cat were glowing orange ... I remember the fuel was the problem and I think it was the filter that was almost clogged so it was running WAY lean .. this was over 10 yeas ago .. so that may lead to a bit of your problem also, check your fuel flow and pressure, check your filters .. maybe that will help some
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2003, 04:14 PM
tunes

To Rich, convertor is trying to burn excess fuel. Tripple check the cam/timing belt installation, distributor / timing and plug wire installation, ECM / engine sensor wiring and installation. The ECM should be returning an error code that might point you in the right dirtction. check the service manual for the 1.6L ECM that you are using for directions to get those codes.
JC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2003, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

I can't get the error codes - The check engine light just stays on when I jump the correct wires. That's why I think the ECU is cooked. I attached a picture of my spark plugs. #1 and #4 look normal, but 2 and 3 have black coloring to them like too much fuel and It can't ignite it. I hooked up all the spark plugs out of the block and checked the spark - all look the same.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1028660-plugs.jpg (72.1 KB, 36 views)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2003, 04:49 PM

Have you called Brent at Trail Tough and explained to him what is going on and asked him for help?
877-789-8547 its toll free.

one thing that may be happening, is if your fuel pressure regulator is not working, it will allow too much fuel into the system.

also if your return gas line is buggered up, it will not allow the regulator to work properly.
that is what I had to do was run a bigger return line, this made all the difference. but I did not have the lack of power you are getting.

thanks
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2003, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

I haven't called brent yet. I'm trying not to since I haven't spent that much money with him and I would feel wierd asking him for help using his toll free line and such. As far as the return line, I swithced the return line with the charcoal can return. It ran this way when I had the sidekick tank hooked directly to the engine (with it's fuel pump) so I have ruled out fuel supply as a cause, and the reg should be fine since the engine ran like a top when I drove the sidekick home.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2003, 10:10 PM
mj77724

i would say the cat is pluged do to the fact that you have
low power and you said it is glowing redish
see this all the time at our shop

mj
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2003, 10:55 PM

I can guarentee (spelling) that when you talk to Brent, you will want to buy stuff in the future from him as a thankyou.

He really can help you a lot, I have a lot of respect for him and the way he runs his buisness.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2003, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

I'm sure it's not the cat, as it's brand new and worked fine with the 1.3.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2003, 11:51 PM
Journeyman

Retarded timing will make exhaust super hot (glow red) and severly limit power. Just a thought. [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode