Mile Marker / Harbor Freight Winch Questions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2003, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

Mile Marker / Harbor Freight Winch Questions

Anyone here running either of these winches? I'm loking for something cheap and easy to install. My theory is I won't be using it very much and I won't be pulling out anything bigger than me. I was seriously considering the Mile Marker 9000 Electric but I'd like to hear about the Harbor Freight is anyone can give me some info (quality, motor performance...etc)...

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2003, 11:27 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Mile Marker / Harbor Freight Winch Questions

<font color="green">One of the board members has the Harbor Freight one on his Zuk and said it works out great! Someone else said that the Mile Marker looks big and bulky, but I don't know because I've never seen it. Mile Marker's web-page has a free video/dvd/CD-rom that shows why they think there winch is better then others. I just filled out the info, just to see what they say. I think when the Harbor Freight ones go back on sale, then I'm getting one! Like you said, I'm not going to pull anyone else out but me and other little Zuk's! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Do a search under Harbor freight winch and see if you can find that one post, it wasn't but a few weeks ago, maybe a month?
</font color>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2003, 12:21 AM

Both the harbor freight and the mile marker use a 1.6HP motor, and are made in China. Not saying they are bad mind you, but they seem to be a clone of the old Ramsey 8000 winch. Ramsey went to a better design and a 3.6hp motor on theirs. You might be better off for a few bucks more getting something with a little higher HP motor. Keep in mind that all the winch ratings are based on one or two layers of rope on the drum, and they drop with each additional layer of rope. A pulley block and a longer line back to the truck with the hook will help keep the pull rating up. Also, the higher the horsepower the motor, the faster the line speed, more torque, and higher line ratings before dropping off.

TGT - NCO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2003, 12:49 AM
camo_jeep

I've never owned anything but Warn so I cant speak from ownership. I have winiched with a Mile Marker and it was terribly slow and weak. A 50' pull takes forever. If you think you will never pull anything other than yourself, you are probably kidding yourself. Spent alot more time winching others than myself. Good luck
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2003, 06:46 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Well I have to have a winch that will WORK NOW! and I love the Ramseys, I would go with the Mile marker before the Harbor frieght. Think about it this way. you are on a rock face sideways 2-3 wheel dangleing, do you want your winch to work or not? I have seen 2 Warns flat out not work, I know on is due to misuse/No maint, But have never had problems with my ramseys 8K or my new proplus 9K. and I USE them! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
As allways your opinion and milage may vary but that is mine!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2003, 08:19 AM

I have owned Ramseys, and Warn winches and hands down the Warn is far better in design, reliabilty, and strength. I have seen all models not work, more of the others than a Warn.

But back on topic, you say you wont pull anybody out. But I have been on many a trail where someone bought just the bare minimum of winch and was too scared to use it when they really needed it. Also, I have been out with guys who didnt have enough winch to get themselves out of trouble.

It is a major pain in the butt to have to get everyone off the trail so you can come to the front of the line to pull "That guy out".

You will never loose your butt over buying a quality winch!

[img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2003, 10:52 AM
supersammymd

im sure you could find a used warn or ramsey for close to the same price as that hf or mm garbage.i have never seen either of those winches in action but i have seen alot of warns and ramseys being used and they work great and they last a while too.for a samurai the warn M6000 is a great buy,(thats what i just bought)it has the same motor as the more expensive H9000I but its geared only to pull 6000lbs which means it goes faster.faster is good when you have to pull 90' of cable out only to go 3',it still takes a while to spool the cable in but it is faster

i bought mine from 4 wheel parts wholesalers for about 750 and i got the warn gear bag and a cover(that doesnt fit my winch) too,they have free shipping on all warn products and it only took about 7 working days to receive it

ramsey has a gear bag that is just like the warn bag but it is alot cheaper (i highly recomend getting this if you want to safely get out of any situation) so that could drop the price a little bit

mo CURTIS
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2003, 10:55 AM
supersammymd

oh yeah,they are very easy to install.you can also install the selinoid box inside the vehicle but that takes a little bit longer [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2003, 01:39 PM
Way Outta Control

Something to consider.
The other day I was up near the Hammer trails. A guy got
stuck in sand, high centered. His buddy parked about 50
feet away and dragged out the cable on his new winch.
When he started pulling there was a loud BANG.
The winch, remote control, the big bull bar bumper with the
winch mount, his grill, driving lights, and part of his
radiator went flying.
Nobody hurt, just embarrassed.
He'd mounted the winch to the bull bumper, then mounted the
bumper to the frame and radiator bracket with 1/4" bolts.
Small pickup, Toy? Nissan? I don't remember.

He said that was how the bumper manufacturer's instructions
showed how to do it.
I yanked the stuck guy out with a stretchy, then he pulled
the "Hero?" back to camp.

Remember - the winch mount and attachment point should be at
least as strong as the winch rating. And if a snatch block
is used, it's even that much more.

When I got home I took a look at a Tracker I recently bought,
mainly for parts. It too has a bull bumper with winch mount
- yup - (4) 1/4" bolts!

Thmick!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2003, 01:57 PM

One thing I did not want to skimp on is my winch. If it fails you when you need it most, it is useless. I wanted overkill. Plus it gave me a reason to buy a cool new bumper. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1027565-NEW ZUK 004.jpg (24.0 KB, 36 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode