1.6 16V.. No power? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2003, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

1.6 16V.. No power?

I finally have my 1.6 together and running. Went for a drive and something is wrong. This thing has no power at all. It's very slow to build up revs and idles low. Timing looks ok, no engine light, vac lines look good. The only thing I can think of is when I adjusted the valves I adjusted them to .005" not .004" like it is supposed to be. Any clues?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2003, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

Re: 1.6 16V.. No power?

I found the idle adjust screw... It was in all the way so I backed it off a bit and it idles fine, just still no power. I'm going to adjust the valves in the morning.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2003, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

I adjusted the valves - no help. Rechecked the timing. Pulled the front of the motor off to check the valve timing. both pullies are at 12 o clock with #4 at TDC. The exhaust system isn't connected to the header yet. Would this make that much difference? I checked the coil The primary resistance was a little out of spec. This has a hard time pulling itself into the garage up the small incline driveway. What's going on here? HELP!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2003, 11:34 PM

when you are checking the timing, are you putting a jumper in the diagnostic pins, one of them has to be jumpered to get it timed correctly, not sure which one it is,

I would call Brent at Trail Tough and ask him...

you should have INCREDIBLE power and be literly blown away..
and wish WISH your samurai had that engine from the factory.

one question, and you probably answered this, but have you put new spark plugs and wires and rotor and cap in?

also, you might want to run a good injector cleaner.
another question Why are you running it without the header attached?, that is (in my opinion) a very dumb thing to do to an engine.

hope this helps
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2003, 12:49 AM Thread Starter

Brand new plugs gapped. I jumped the plug, timing doesn't seem to help at all. Cap and rotor look ok. This all came out of a 92 sidekick that I drove 40 miles home that ran very well and strong. The header is attached the rest of the exhuast system from the cat back isn't.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2003, 10:45 AM

What is the condition of the O2 senser and any vaccum hoses?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2003, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

Brand new 02 sensor, vac hoses look fine.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2003, 01:41 PM

diymobilesound,

Get the rest of the exhaust hooked up. Lack of back pressure may be making your induction system
confused and unable to correct the mix properly.

ps: did you connect the REQUIRED grounds at the dist and such? All the electronics requires good
grounding between the engine, body and battery.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2003, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

It looks like there are two places to ground on the dist - near the base and up by the cap. I grounded it near the base. Does the clip next to the cap need grounding too?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2003, 11:42 PM
Journeyman

Hi -

Well "something is drastically wrong" is an accurate statement. Two things that come to mind which would create what you are experiencing are as follows:
The 16 Valve will start and run with the spark plug wire positions placed in the wrong rotation on the distributor cap - the rotation is OPPOSITE of the 8 valve engines. In order to change the rotation, simply swap wires #2 and #3 at the distributor cap.
Secondly, you mentioned that you checked the cam timing but failed to mention whether it showed TDC on the "I" mark or the "E" mark. The correct positioning will be 12:00 on the crank and 12:00 on the "E" mark with the distributor rotor pointed at wire #4.

One other thing that is crucially important is that there is no fuel flow restriction in the fuel return line. Fuel pressure on the pressure side should not exceed 36 PSI - it is common to have excessive back pressure in the return line causing the fuel pressure regulator to be unable to do its job. Make sure that the check valve in the return line has been removed and I strongly suggest replaceing the return with the FEED line from another Samurai for unrestricted fuel return to the tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode