Off Roading Forums banner

how do you pull your axles

535 views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  FryerTuk 
#1 ·
here is the problem last week we started on removing the axle from johns zuk
the locker crapped out on him i think the axle is twisted in the rear diff. but the splines are almost gone on the passenger side
the picks are
we took a chain and wrapped it around the axle tube and the bumper of my c-10 pick up and took a rear drum fliped it and pulled it with the winch we pulled so hard we lifted the zuk about 2" of the jack stands nothing
we heated it up nothing
beat it with a hammer nothing
i bet it will loose to the sawzall
the locker is still under warranty so have to get it out
its a 1510 i told him to replace it with a 1530 which i have

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
same thing happened to us a few weeks ago. Like you, we chained & winched & beat & cussed. After wearing ourselves out to the point we had to stop & drink beer, we went to autozone. Gave 'em 'bout $80 bucks to "borrow" a slide hammer. Got back to the house & gave er 'bout 3 good whacks & POP, out came the axle. All of about 4 minutes worth of work.
Go get a slide hammer.

Brad.

#9 ·
Charles, try this proceedure:

re-rig the winch tensioner (or acome a long, I think you would have better control)
to allow the slide hammer to be used simultaniously, Possibly rig a heavier "hammer"

Get the heat on the outer housing as you have. Keep water on the axle "head" to
heat sink it for additional shrinking.

Hammer the hell out of it.

The thing that wil usually pop a stuck axle is the shock, not steady pressure. If all is really correct,
it should be a snug slip fit when installing it. Didn't John have difficulty a year or so ago? or was
that another Gazuker? Maybe its time for a new housing, or repairs to this one?

#11 ·
I hope his axle tube Is not bent if so Man is that going to be a real job ive never had anyproblems out of pullin axles Until 1 the tube was bent putting alot of presure on the axle . If it Is i finnaly unbolted the 3rd got it losse took the presure off just enough for me to fianlly beat it off with a 6lb sleghammer

#12 ·
i have a front axle in the garage right now that is visibly bent and i only need the third member from it cuz the rest of it is shot. it is far to bent to get either shaft to slide out of so i am gonna take the chop saw to both axle tubes!!

#13 ·
Ok it's my zuk in the tug o war pictures, as of now we have gave up on getting the axle shaft out. Charles and I are in the process of assembling another rear axle from 3 different axles( brake components, shock mounts and brake lines from my original axle... a bare tube from a friend.. and shafts and 3rd member from one charles has with a torn open tube) ordred new bearings , seals, and retainers for a little over half the price of anywhere else from DIYAutoparts. SInce it was gonna cost me $50 to have the new bearings pressed on by PEP Boys and Charles had 4 sets that he will be putting bearings on and Mike wants to rebuild his tranny we decided to head to Northern and get us a 12 ton press. WOW that sure made the job easy. Since the axle was coming out anyway i figured now was a good time to install those missing links and long travel doetch teck shocks that have been sitting in the barn for about 9 months now. if you have to do a repair might as well do a mod at the same time

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.