Is this a factory Sunroof? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2003, 08:20 AM
bord

Is this a factory Sunroof?

Does this look like a factory sunroof or an aftermarket one? It leaks pretty bad and I was wondering if I could get the rubber weatherstripping for it anywhere? Any ideas on how to stop it from leaking?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2003, 01:59 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: Is this a factory Sunroof?

It does not look like a factory sunroof.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2003, 02:24 PM
bord

Hmmm, I was afraid of that! Anyone have a picture of what a factory sunroof looks like? I wonder if a sunroof shop could fab up one to fit the hole in my roof[img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2003, 01:07 PM

I disagree. I have a factory sun roof on mine and yours is exactly the same. As far as the seal, if you can't get one from the dealership your SOL. If the gasket is not cracked or completly shot I found that some Armorol or a similar product softenes and reconditions the rubber gasket where it will seal out the rain. I spray mine everytime I get a wash and it hasn't leaked a drop yet. [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2003, 07:33 PM
Can't Get Enough

Zippy, I could definitely be mistaken. The only hardtops I've seen with sunroofs were different from Bords, however, the ones I have seen might be the ones that were aftermarket or dealer-installed options. The one I have doesn't say Suzuki on it anywhere, but it looks like it has been on it since '86.

The sunroof in the photo of Daxe Rexford's hardtop below is the type that is on the '86 JX hardtop I have.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 987515-sunroof open.jpg (26.6 KB, 6 views)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2003, 12:04 AM

I know the flip up sunroofs were aftermarket. But I was told by the dealer at the time I bought my Zuke, new in 1987, that the slide backs were a factory option. They may have been installed at the dealership, but they supposedly were a Suzuki item; which probally means nothing because I have been lied to before. The one lie he told me was, "this vechile wes built to last 200,000 miles." Not exactly it went 280,000 before it died. It has been the cheapest and most dependable vehicle to rebuild I've ever owned; and after 16 years we are sill motoring down the road keeping up with the big kids. [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
[img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2003, 08:18 AM
bord

The seal is not cracked or anything but its leaking from somewhere? Someone had took silicone sealant and gobbed it all over the place. It was a major "eye-sore" to say the least. I may take it to a sunroof shop and see if they can fit a pop-up type sunroof to it, if not I guess I'll try to salvage the old parts and see what happens when I put it back together[img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2003, 03:15 PM
Can't Get Enough

Sorry for the mis-information, Bord. My '88.5 hardtop was bought new and now has 72,000 miles on it, but the '86 JX with the sunroof was bought as a rolling body and chassis to fix up.

Good luck with getting your leak fixed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode