What to do with my Tin Top? 16-Valve EFI??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2002, 09:24 AM
bord

What to do with my Tin Top? 16-Valve EFI???

I picked up a tintop a few weeks ago and I'm a little unsure of what to do with it so I have some questions.

The body on it is very good except for the hood and floor. It has some rust and bondo in the rear driver side corner and a few rust holes throughout the floor. I thought about just turning it into a beater/wheeler but the more I think about it tintops are becoming rare and I would kinda like to restore it and turn it into a daily driver with a mild lift and turn my 87 soft top zuk into a wheeler.

My main concern is the engine. How hard would a 16-valve swap be if I had Trail Tough do the harness? What happens to the 1.3 harness thats in there now? If Trail Tough wasnt so far from VA I would seriously consider paying the $$$ for them to do the swap. Is putting Air Conditioning in with a 16V swap possible???

Anyone in the SouthEast be willing to help me do a 16V swap sometime in the distant future?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2002, 09:36 AM

Re: What to do with my Tin Top? 16-Valve EFI???

Hey Bord,

PM me youe email. I'm in the same boat as you.

Yes, it really sucks that Brent (TT) is on the other coast. I'd love to hook up with him in person and see how he does what he does.

As far as a 16V motor, swapping one into a stock height Samurai isn't that hard. I'm in mid swap as I type this... If you want more info on it email me and I can probably hook you up with a motor and harness too! I'm in Annapolis, Maryland - a heck of a LOT closer than Oregon.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2002, 09:39 AM

Save the tin tops!!!
They are the original "mini van" [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

With a wiring harness, the 16v install is about as easy as swapping the 1.3 engine. I have done several 16v swaps already. You'll need a few additional parts to complete the swap including an engine/trans adapter plate and electric fuel pump. AC should be no problem unless you want to run Power steering also..then the choices narrow.

I'm in Maryland. Drop me an email if you need any help. good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2002, 09:43 AM

NA don't do any of that stuff ~ just put it out by the curb so I ~ errr I mean the garbage truck can get rid of it for you!!!! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
I just bought a real nice solid 87JX Tin Top about a month ago and am just getting it on the road. I'v had to steal some parts off my 88 rag top which is down with a knock in the moter. I plan on making it mostely a street Zuk with a little NOVICE type off roading (YA RIGHT) I know what will happen, I get out there and some Heep will do somthing and I won't ba able to resist!! I'm trying to make up my mind as to whether to run 2 zuks ($$$)or just one. My rag top is lifted locked and geard, with 32 11/50 swampers, Tin top is stock!! (for now) [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2002, 10:16 AM
Enthusiast

You can do a 1600-16V swap with ease if you have him take care of the harness issue fo you like I did.
The trade off of a 16valve engine is you can have only
P/S or A/C...not both.
But the power increase is a blast!!! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
I also have a 1.5" body lift that made mounting the breather box a little more complicated.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2002, 10:39 AM

This site may have some useful information for you.

http://members.cox.net/aftermarket4x4/comp_proj.html
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2002, 05:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

OK my question is this, why doesn't any devulge the secrets of the wiring? a lot of guys would do this swap if it wasn't that only 1 guy knows the secret. I love Brent and all, but someone has to have broken the code themself.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2002, 06:40 PM

Bring m eyour tin top and your 16v and a 16v wiring supplement and we'll do it and tell all the secrets! I am sure there aren't any secrets really, just need patience and time. I did my 8v EFI myself and it was easy, just need the right year FSM with teh wiring diags and the harness outta the donor rig.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2002, 07:29 PM

No secrets just a TON of cutting, removing and rewiring. It's the kind of thing where you have to see it done (out of the car) then have a template to do it. Honestly, you could do it yourself if you had both FSMs and patience. It's a LOT of work and Brent's time and guarantee is worth EVERY penny! I imagine that it will take me a week of undisturbed time to make mine and in the end there'll still be no guarantee that I got it right. [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2002, 08:19 PM

The wiring harnesses are really not that hard to make. I'v made quite a few of them already (I'm actually finishing two 16v harnesses right now...took a break to check the BBS). Making the harness is not for everyone though. It does take alot of time and effort, especially when making your first one. If you start with a whole harness, you'll find that over 85% of it gets removed. It looks impossible but once you get started, its not that bad.

The best reference is in the "Drivability and Emissions" section of the FSM. Here there are diagrams for the ECM controlled portions of the harness along with other useful info. I get confused with the newer wiring diagrams that are spread over many many pages. I use them only as a reference for particular swaps (ie. OBDII components added to an OBDI harness).

If you make your own, follow the carpenters rule of "measure twice and cut once" or as it applies here,"double check everything before you cut"
And if it means anything, I find the 16v harnesses easier to make than the 8v's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode