homemade panhard bar guys i need pics!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2002, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

homemade panhard bar guys i need pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!

howdy,
my buddy needs some pics of homemade panhard bars. so he can make one up at work to bolt on.
i have been wanting to make my own panhard bar. on now i have a buddy that needs to make one up. he just called me up and would like me to get some pics of ideas. right now he is drawing up some sketches and i will post his ideas when i get them. he is thinking of welding square tuben on to his passenger u-bolt plate and then welden up some tabs on it for the heims. then on the driver side he has some extra u-bolt plates to mount on the driver side frame with bolts. with some tabs welded on. for the bar he is going to use some square tuben with nuts welded inside for the heims. ok he is now on his way over here to use my computer to make up some drawens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2002, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: homemade panhard bar guys i need pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!

howdy,
here is what brad has come up with. what do you think? he want to check on tryen to use a stock extra wheel connector bar. but is most likely going to use square tuben. he has plent on hand. oh all the square tuben is hollow. is that a good idea? and is one insquare tuben going to be strong enough.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 981597-panhardbar.jpg (39.7 KB, 14 views)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2002, 11:42 AM
CSR

I built my Panhard bar much like your drawing, only I used rubber bushings instead of hiem joints(cheaper, less maintenance). Try to have the bar as horizontal as possible. An angle as steep as pictured will cause the axle to shift to the right as the suspension compresses.

If you're running missing-links or long shackles, a Panhard bar will make a world of difference in your steering response.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2002, 12:23 PM
mikrosilakhan

I think i heard you want the Panhard to be as close to possible the same length as the drag link? AM i right on this.. Ill be buidling one soon to
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2002, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

howdy,
i don't think his drawen is to scale. but he runs 2" long shakles, with cj front spring in front and cj rear spring in rear. all so he took some spare front and rear driveshaft and cut the uni's of and welded them onto a farm PTO shaftes. square tuben and alot of grease pumped into the zerk fittens.
do you think he could cut of the eyes on a bent front spring to use as the heims. he just wanted to use heims to make it adjustable?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2002, 12:41 PM
mikrosilakhan

Go back to the tractor store were he got the driveshafts and get a tractor top link 20 bucks and youlll have 2 hiems and all.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2002, 12:46 PM

<<I think i heard you want the Panhard to be as close to possible the same length as the drag link? >>

Only partialy correct mik, to avoid bump steer it needs to be :

o Same length
o Parrellell to the drag link
o Have the same roll center as the front axle

Its better if the 2 bars are the same vertical height, but more important, when intrducing a second roll
center, to have as close to the same center, to the roll center created by the spring eyes as possible.
Otherwise you are pulling and twisting the springs sideways more, and flexing the frame at the panhard
mount point. The panhard bar ends and spring bushings will see more wear and tear too.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2002, 06:33 PM

Hey Jim. Do a search on that other board. What was it called........PB and Jelly? [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Anyway there is a TON of info on them over there. I remember the thread quite well. I think AKDALE started it??????? [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode