2001 Vitara 4dr 4wd 2.0L - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2002, 07:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

2001 Vitara 4dr 4wd 2.0L

I've got a 2001 4dr 4wd Vitara, and am rather disapointed with the performance of the Unicrappies in snow. Powder up to the bottom of the bumper is enough to leave it hung and floating. I was spoiled by my previous ute in snow perf (a nice, HEAVY Isuzu Rodeo) but am pretty certain there is room for improvement with the Vitara. My first thought is to go with a taller, but same width if not narrower tire, with a better tread pattern. Whats the tallest tire I can stuff onto those stock rims?

Also I've been told that the Goodyear Artica snow tires have the same grip unstudded as a studded snow tire. Good thing, as you can't stud them... Anyone have experience with them? (What'd happen if I just ran them year round? : ) )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2002, 07:26 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 2001 Vitara 4dr 4wd 2.0L

After doing some review on the BBS, seems there are those that think with the light weight of the older Suzukis aiming for floatation is a better goal than a thin tire to cut through snow. 99% of my driving is onroad though, so not sure if that's really applicable to me or not.

Opinions?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2002, 07:34 AM

I ran studded snow tires all year one time. Here in Va there illegal. I dont think you want to run them all year long. They are loud as all hell. TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK!
My biggest fear was that one of those studs was going to fly out and kill some passing motorcylcist or pedestrian.
Just my .02.
Kamazuki [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2002, 07:50 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

If I get the Articas I can't stud them, so no flying stud problem.

I do remember running my studs a bit late one year on my previous Dakota, loud as hell, and braking on dry pavement sucked. Made for a nice spark show when the back broke loose though. : )
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2002, 08:48 AM

Just buy the cheapest snow tire you can find. Walmarts Wintermark work fine. Just make sure you take them off in spring as soon as the snow is gone. It not worth the money to spend on High priced Blizac or Alpine tires. You may also want to look into buying a second set of rims so that you are not switching back and forth.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2002, 10:46 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

My wife runs studs year round on her GV. "LOUD"??? You gotta be kidding me. Just turn up the stereo. Worried about throwing a stud? Why? You're more likely to throw a stone you pick up off the road.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode