removing tranny... need tips - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-25-2002, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

removing tranny... need tips

I will be removing the tranny in a week or so to replace it with a new one (if it ever gets here) and a new clutch... I need some tips to make it easy on me...

a few questions - Do I need to remove the front driveshaft? What about the exhaust? I've got a thorley header and after that it's all one piece, so if i have to remove the exhaust, am I going to have to take it all off? Is it just going to fall out once I remove all the bolts? Do I need to support the engine? I've looked at the manuals (Haynes and the FSM), but they aren't really a ton of help. Ya'll have always been more helpful anyway.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-25-2002, 10:04 PM

Re: removing tranny... need tips

I can finally add something to a somewhat tech. question. I am in the middle of doing a tranny swap right now. As far as manuals go (in the words of Sarge) the Haynes is only useful to wipe your a$$ with on the tranny swap. It says to remove the crossmember; it does not even have a front cross member. I did not remove my exhaust. I just disconnected the front driveshaft and tied it over to the side out of the way. Trust me, it (tranny) will not just fall out once you remove tranny bolts. It will take some work to get it past the flywheel. Others here can give more detailed advice, but this is just what I have ran into.
Brent

Oh yeah,
be sure to put a can top in the rear of tranny after you remove the rear driveshaft. It will prevent you from taking a bath in tranny fluid.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-25-2002, 10:17 PM
bulldogzook

like sapp said the tranny wount just fall out! it'll take alittle wrangle'n to support the engine I put a short piece of 2x4 between the distributer and the fire wall that wil hold the engine up so you can work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-25-2002, 10:32 PM
SammiTerra

When I replaced my clutch I used an engine lift to support the engine,as the rear tranny mount is actually the rear engine mount. I raised the engine slightly, and loosened up the remaining motor mounts and used a 2x4 to pry the rear of he engine up. This gave the clearance I needed to drop the tranny down.I also drained out all the gear lube out of the tranny before I removed it(prevented a big mess). I hed to turn the tranny to about the 9 oclock position to get it out, and had to turn it to the same position when putting it back.Hope this helps.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-25-2002, 10:35 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Here's my 2 cents...

Should you decide to drop the tranny, you will find it almost imposible to back it up far enough to clear the flywheel in order to drop the front. One way that makes life easier is to cut the trany mount on the crossmember by a 1/2".
In the picture it's been cut already.....

Tip of the week from:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 980027-CrossMem.jpg (17.6 KB, 5 views)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-25-2002, 10:41 PM

I did the same thing as you but not that extreme. I just cut a V in the mount going into the factory hole. It just enough room to let the tranny out.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-25-2002, 10:48 PM

I didn't do that and I had a f***ing hard time to get the transmition out. Had to jack the back of the engine a lot to let the transmition come free.

This 30sec grinding will save you half an hour of fun with the trany.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2002, 08:39 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Consider replacing the rear main seal while it's all apart.........

New pilot & TO bearing is a must..........
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2002, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

You read my mind crow... I'm going to replace the rear main while it's all out. Any tips on making this easier? Am I going to have to drop the oil pan? The problem is is that I'm going to be working on it in a place that the nearest auto parts store is about 30 minutes away, and I can almost garauntee that they don't have any zook parts, so I need to have everything that I need before i start tearing into it....

post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2002, 11:31 AM
Keyboard Implanted

You don't have to drop the pan to replace the rear main seal. I small screwdriver can be used to CAREFULLY pry the old one out. Like any other seal replacement, grease the sealing lips prior to installing. Use a suitable seal driver (sometimes a large socket will work) and you should be in bussiness..........
Resurfacing the flywheel is always a good idea with a new clutch.............
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode