How DO these damn flares come off?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2002, 11:09 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

How DO these damn flares come off??

After once again ripping off the OEM flares a couple weeks ago I decided that it was time they stayed off. I've seen mention of either grinding or drilling the spot wld out, just wondering if I'm grinding in right spot???

You can sort of see where I was grinding in a couple spots. There were dimples there I thought were spot welds but some grinding didn't come up with any results. Do I just need to go further? I'm also thinking of taking the sawzall down between the metal flare and the body [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2002, 11:15 AM
ronin

Re: How DO these damn flares come off??

I used a dremel tool with a high speed cutting bit (kinda looks like a regular drill bit) and used that on the spot welds. Took about a minute per weld and I only went all the way through the fender on about 4 of the spot welds due to rust. It gave me very precise control of what I drilled through. I used a flat putty knife and stuck it in between the fender and flare mount and worked it along as I drilled out the spot welds.

I can get some pics if you want.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2002, 11:24 AM

Just find all of those dimples and be patient!!! Use your gringing wheel and just go a little deeper. You can see the metal change color due to the heat and the diminishing thickness on the metal. You'll need to move the grinder up and down, left to right just a little. Hope this helps. I did each one in about 20 seconds.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2002, 12:27 PM
Veteran

Put a chisle or scraper b/t the body and flare and give it a couple firm but not hard blows. If it doesnt pop off, grind or drill some more.

If you pound them hard, the sheet metal will just tear.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2002, 12:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

A grinder works really well for this. Just work in a side/side or up/down motion, as mentioned above. It helps to go along first and mark each individual spot weld with an "X" with a marker or something. This helps you remember where they all are. Also, start at one side and move to the other. After you grind an area (until you can see the body underneath), use a scrapper or screwdriver to pry the metal up (helps when it is still hot). Here are a few pics. You can see all the little grinded areas and how the lip got pulled away as I went along. Good luck. ~Steve

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode