CAT melted - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2002, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

CAT melted

NO not the furrey one the one on my Exhust . I went to switch the exhust from my 88 rag top to my 87 Tin top becous I thought it was in good shape when parts of the cat came tumbling out. The honey comb is melted. What would cause that? Running to rich? The rag top had been getting lousy fuel milage. [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2002, 12:00 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: CAT melted

<font color="green"> I'm not sure, but my old Zuk had all the crap taken out of the CAT and it ran a lot better! I just left it on there for looks, just in case the OSHP pulled me over and did an inspection on the side of the road. Its just for emissions crap! </font color>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2002, 04:07 PM

Age and running rich.

Just had to replace mine when it failed emission testing here in SoCal. The emission tech said that running rich would cause the catalytic mass to melt if allowed to run that way long enough. Mine was so badly plugged that when trying to look at the sun through it you could only pick out a few points of light.

Carbed Zuks are nortorius for being high HC emitters. If you don't have annual smog inspections you may want to gut the cat. I replaced everything from the exhaust manifold back with 2 inch lines, cat and a high flow muffler. Now it's not too loud and has more get up and go. I'll be fabbing a test pipe to run between inspections.

Good luck.

Roger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2002, 06:17 PM
supersammymd

i took my brand new cat off as soon as i got back from the exaust shop and jammed a long screwdriver down into it,hollowed it right out.on purpose.slight power increase and my zuk sounds better.yes,i could have just saved 100 bucks and not even had a cat put on it but if i ever get pulled over they will look under there and see a brand new cat installed and wont bother writing me any tickets. for me emissions dont matter because i can just take my other stock zuk in there(swap vin #'s first)and they wont know the differance.

ps. dont tell anybody [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2002, 08:07 PM
Addict

Too much carb cleaner isn't good for the cat either and can create a lot more heat than what it can take.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2002, 08:13 PM
supersammymd

i agree,my cat Trixie hates carb cleaner
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2002, 11:09 AM

they do make flow thru cats, too. I have one and it passes CA smog. No screens, looks like a
glass pack muffler inside, full flow and lower emissions. [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode