Jeep to Produce Diesel Liberty for US in 2004 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-15-2002, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

Jeep to Produce Diesel Liberty for US in 2004

http://www.rockcrawler.com/
New York, N.Y. - The United States could reduce its oil use by approximately 800 million gallons and carbon dioxide emissions by 8 million tons annually, if Americans purchased diesels at the same rate as Europeans, Dieter Zetsche, President and Chief Executive Officer of Chrysler Group, said today. To encourage American acceptance of diesels, Zetsche announced that Chrysler Group will test the North American market with a diesel-powered Jeep® Liberty vehicle beginning in 2004.

At the DaimlerChrysler Innovation Symposium in New York, Zetsche also called on regulators and oil refiners to work together to resolve diesel emissions challenges that will be tested by new tailpipe standards that will go into effect in 2006. "The best way to show our commitment to work together is to bring a modern, clean diesel passenger vehicle to market, which we intend to do," Zetsche said. "We would like to see the oil refiners commit to producing and distributing high quality, low-sulfur fuel as soon as possible, while the government creates incentives for fuel producers to get clean diesel fuel to the market before the deadline."

While DaimlerChrysler offers a range of diesel-powered passenger vehicles in Europe, where approximately 35 percent of vehicles are powered by diesel engines, the Jeep Liberty will be the first light-duty sport-utility vehicle with a diesel powertrain to go on sale in the United States and Canada.

"Today's modern diesel vehicles should be part of the solution to improving fuel efficiency and reducing carbon dioxide emissions," Zetsche said. "Diesels lead to up to a 30 percent improvement in fuel economy, while reducing carbon dioxide emissions an average of 20 percent. "While there are legitimate concerns about the particulate matter and oxides of nitrogen (NOx) exhaust from diesels, the introduction of high quality, low-sulfur diesel fuel will enable a reduction of these emissions," added Zetsche.

Zetsche said that, on average, diesel fuel offered in Europe is six times cleaner than that offered in the U.S., due to a much lower sulfur content extracted during the refining process. The diesel Jeep Liberty will be powered by a 2.8-liter common rail turbo-diesel engine produced by DaimlerChrysler. It will be available with a manual or automatic transmission, as well as two- or four-wheel drive. It is expected that the diesel-powered Liberty will have up to a 30 percent improvement in fuel economy, versus a comparable gasoline-powered Liberty. DaimlerChrysler currently offers diesel engines in its Dodge Ram heavy-duty trucks in North America. Approximately 75 percent of all Dodge Ram 2500/3500s sold in North America are powered by diesel engines.

But diesel acceptance as the fuel of choice in high-volume passenger vehicles in North America has been another matter, thanks in large part to some ill-fated attempts in the 1980s to introduce diesels here. "The technology of the time left a bad taste in the mouths of many," Zetsche said, "and a lot of bad memories of smokey, smelly, clattertrap cars. "But today's clean diesels are surprisingly refined and comparable, category for category, to gasoline-powered vehicles."

Around the world, the Chrysler Group currently offers diesel powertrain options in the Jeep Cherokee (Liberty in North America), Jeep Grand Cherokee, Chrysler PT Cruiser and Chrysler Voyager minivans. In Western Europe, diesel-powered vehicles comprise 56 percent of Chrysler Group's total sales volume.

Jeep Cherokee vehicles with diesel powertrains currently account for 65 percent of that model's total sales in Western Europe.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-15-2002, 03:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Jeep to Produce Diesel Liberty for US in 2004

Well it is about time. They would be a sweet little rig with a soild axle and a diesel engine. Heard rummors of a 4cly cummin in the dakota in the near future too. I would be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.

Can't go wrong with a diesel. You just can't
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-15-2002, 04:58 PM

Actually the Jeeps sold outside the USA had diesel options.
I think they are offering it now because the new Volkswagen Truck and SUV (That is going to be released in North America) will have a diesel option that will blow away anything Jeep has to offer in a diesel. There are two VW TDI motors projected for the diesel option. One is a 5 cylinder TDI motor that is rated at about 178 hp and about 300 torque. The other is the V-10 TDI that is rated at about 331 HP and well over 500 ft lb torque. The V10 TDI is rated at about 30 miles per gallon and the 5 cylinder which might be a 2.8 TDI... not sure what size it is.... will have a higher rating for fuel economy. They are lighter and much more efficient (longevity, mpg, noise, pollution) when compared to any American diesel power plant. I am sure that might hurt some ego's but diesels are invented by German Rudolf Diesel in Germany. Germans have been making diesels longr and have the best diesel power plants in the world. The newer TDI motors are redesigned and produce more power and higher fuel economy and are liter. There is a 2.0 TDI that is to be hopefully released in the USA that is rated between 130 to 150 hp and about 200 to 250 ft lbs. I cant remember what it ws rated at... I remember readng about it.
Also diesel fuels in North America are behind the curve for cleaning. The deadline is about the same time the Jeep diesel is said to come out. After they clean the diesel up there will be less emissions produced. Thats the problem right now. Large partical emissions are higher on a diesel motor then on a gas motor. And the NOx is about the same... otherwise the diesel motor produces less of the five main emissions they measure. Also diesel produces more power per gallon then gas does. They are really a greener motor over the life span when comparing gas and diesel motors. Well Im on the soap box again.... Time to get off.... I look forward to seeing more cleaner burning diesel options in the near future when it comes to American vehicles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-15-2002, 05:11 PM

I dunno why Americans dislike deisels. I love em, my Rabbit was one of teh best cars I ever had.. was almost as quick as a regular rabbit and got on average of 55 MPG with me driving and I wasn't easy on it.. many exit ramps on 3 wheels floored in 3rd gear, you know them rabbits will lift the inside rear tire way too easy!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-15-2002, 05:13 PM

Also another note (I just did a huge research paper for one of my college course on diesel motors in the world, and I also did a research argument paper on diesel burning vehicles, and a term paper on diesel fuels sold around the world). LSD or Low Sulfur Diesel is already being sold at many fuel stations. There is the ULSD or Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel that is to come out soon. The old fuel pumps are said to depend on the sulfur content in the diesel fuel as a means to lube the pump. Just like oil lubes a motor. The newer style pumps are not as needy. Also biodiesel is being produced at greater amounts. And there is a mixed bio and petrolium diesel being offered in the form of B20 which is 20 percent biodiesel. This will reduce the emissions by an average of 20 percent and dependng on the study you read it could be as high as 90 percent for some emissions as well as reduction of particle and NOx. But it depends on the study you read. Most legit studies I read were positive when it comes to B20. Also it is more then adequate to lube the older style fuel pumps. With cleaner diesel fuels being develope the diesel motor will be a greener motor then the petrol motor is. There are also other designs on the table to help reduce PM's or partical matter. These include PM traps that trap particles. International is testing some that are promissing as are other major diesel manufacturers across the globe. I am pro diesel as one might tell. I am sure wanderer can add a thing or two that I have left out.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-15-2002, 05:20 PM

most americans remember the GM gas converted diesel motors that were POS's. This left a very bad taste in the American mindset with american diesels and other diesels of far better quality then what was then..and still is.. being produced by other car companies outside the usa. Then the actual diesel motors offered by the big three were not any more fuel efficient then import diesels. Fact is the import diesels (Japan, Germany, etc) are always better then anything sold on the US market for the consumer. They are more fuel efficient on an average of 40 percent when compared to US diesel vehicles. They produce less noise pollution and have a record for higher longevity. The newer TDI's being produced by Volkswagen (a company that has other manufacturers using their diesel motors) has the best diesel on the market todate. Unless Jeep uses Mercedes to help them with a diesel motor.... and I admit I at this time am not up to speed on what motors jeep is using in their suv's in europe... but unless they have MB or VW help them.... or they borrow some of the technology... I dont see the cummins doing the same job as their German counterparts.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-15-2002, 06:32 PM

Hear, Hear...

I got a guy that comes into the NTB I work at wilth an old school Benz 300D.. it's around now about 350,000 miles on the ODO, never been a wrench on the motor.. it's a station wagon and he drives the wheels off it, and it get close to 50 MPG too. and roomier than a Dakota.. that get 11 MPG..

Go figure..
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-15-2002, 06:53 PM

unless I'm mistaken, the liberty diesel in europe is actually the daimler 2.5L 5 cylinder turbodiesel found in Benz sedans....overall a very nice engine, and VERY long lived. I believe the current generation is rated ~150HP, and 250 ft.lbs, but dont hold me to those numbers. anyone know if it'll be available in the liberty with the daimler 5 speed auto?( and for auto naysayers, think 4.25:1 1st gear, loackups, bump-startable, compression braking, and tiptronic shifting)

minipigg - all I can say on the whole N.American small diesel thing is [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] . I cant wait. ( but I'm sure not in line for the liberty..too mainstream for me!!) Guess I'll have to come up with something else to stay ahead of the cutting edge - whats you're thoughts on a diesel electrc hybrid?

chris
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-15-2002, 07:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The tdi is a good motor but it has one fatal flaw whci you would think VW would change. Being that the tdi is an interferance motor you would think they would use a gear set instead of a timing BELT. THink in my opinion is a reason I will not buy a tdi.

The cummins design is one of the best on the market. They keep the engine simple. I believe a jerk style pump is beter than a rotomaster style anyday. My opinon of course. Not to mention cummins doesn't use a timing BELT.

Remember VW convered rabbit engines to diesels. So they are guilty of converting gas pots to diesel just like everyone else.

I'm not knocking VW, trust me I have a diesel rabbit and another rabbit diesel going into my sj 410 as well.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-15-2002, 07:12 PM

Chris... did you read my paper that goes into detail about the Audi electric-diesel hybrid? It is based on the A2 chasis and uses the VW 1.2 TDI motor...For those that dont know Audi has been owned by Volkswagen for decades.... anyway the current A2 TDI gets 78 to 80 mpg.... they have put more R&D into that car and estimate the new design to get 100 plus mpg... and then they have a newer electric-diesel 1.2 liter tdi hybrid and that one estimates 150 plus miles per gallon. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Ober alse it is going to be a good thing. And with cleaner diesel fuel options coming.... diesels will defeat the mindset that they are a dirty vehicle and pollute more then gasoline motors do... which is not the case even with todays standards

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode