Go with a Straight axil of stay with IFS - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2002, 08:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Go with a Straight axil of stay with IFS

I have a 91 Tracker auto. i would like to get 33's on it. Should I go with the calmini 3" suspension with 3" body or go with a Straight Axil and have a 6" suspension lift? I know that I'm going to have to change the gearing in the rearends to take the 33's but thats ok.

What ever your opinon or info you have to help me in this would be great
Thanx
Mikey [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2002, 09:34 PM
Skip

Re: Go with a Straight axil of stay with IFS

Depends on what you want it for. Street poser stick with the IFS. Trail rig go for the straight axle
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2002, 09:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I want it to wheel but it is a daily driver
Mikey [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2002, 11:00 PM
Skip

IMHO, if it's a wheeling daily driver go straight axle.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2002, 11:20 PM
Happy_Trails

WTF ?...Street poser with IFS ?... maybe you should check out some of the rigs with IFS out on the trails. Think we have been down this "IFS-vs- straight axle" before. Of course straight is going to be more heavy duty and also more money and more work. IFS works too, but some have breakage but guess that goes with trail riding anyway.As time goes on it seems there are more options for the "SIDEKICK" crowd. RRO has OME coils and body lifts. Calmini had 3 inch body and sup. lift.TT is suppose to come out with straight axle convetion kits next year and everytime you ask a question there are more things you can do to your rig.(axles,3rd members,T-cases and so on ) So be prepared to hear all kinds of arguments pro and con on either set up. [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2002, 07:45 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Here's my 3/10 of a cent worth:

If you're wanting to WHEEL 33's on a Track/Kick, AND use it for a daily driver, you're going to be looking at spending a chunk of change, either way. One of the big questions is: How are your fab skills? That might determine the path you take. To go IFS (like me) on 31's even, here's what you're lookin at:

Calmini 6" lift - about $1000
15 X 8 wheels with 2" to 2-1/2" of backspacing - about $250
Big Honking Tires - about $600 (get FIVE)
New 5.83:1 Ring & Pinion gears, front & rear - about $800
Lower Transfer case gearing (4.4:1) - about $850

That's $3,500, and it doesn't include new bumpers, winch, belly armor, stronger axle housing, roll cage, or Spidertrax Billet Aluminum Gear Shift Knob.

You think the rest is just "minor"? Look at this:

Calmini Front Winch Bumper with 3" lift adapter: $550
Calmini Rear Swing-Arm Bumper: $600
Warn M6000 Winch: $600
Warn Winch Accessory Kit: $160
Full Calmini Belly Armor and Steering Stabilizer: $500
Calmini Anvil Front Axle Housing: $490
ARB Air Lockers - Front & Rear, and Compressor: $1400

That's another $4,300, NOT counting the rest of the parts you'll need to hook up that Anvil Axle Housing, or the Grand Vitara steel 3rd member carrier!!!

So, we're talking $7,800 plus the cost of your Track/Kick (mine cost $3,000), and you don't even have a hi-lift jack yet!!!

You sure you're ready for this? I just added this up for the first time, and I can't believe it! I'm still about $4,000 from completion!

I'm guessing that SAS would be cheaper, but a lot more work! Who can put up GOOD numbers for SAS conversion?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2002, 08:44 AM
Skip

My comments weren't ment to start a IFS/straight axle conflict. It was based on his desire to run 33's.
From what I've seen 31's seems to be a practical limit for IFS without severe sawzall to the body. If you
crank the IFS up high enough to clear 33's what kind of flex do you have left? You are correct, I've seen
Kicks with 31's go everywhere I do in my Sami with 31's and over some of it easier
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2002, 09:01 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey, I think this is a good subject to get "out in the open"! I'm curious too! I think SAS is a great idea, just not the approach I'm taking. I'd like to see what the "other school" thinks, and costs! [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2002, 10:32 AM
Happy_Trails

WOW....Guess I need to start playing the lottery alot more if I wanna build my KICK....LOL....no idea what a SAS would cost but figure the work that would have to go into it. I figure all the same stuff you already have minus the calmini 3 inch sus. lift but now you have to buy axles and if you do the front, why not the rear, so that two axles plus springs,shackles and so on. Oh , or you could go with coils. If you go with the 33's or bigger you have the gearing and other stuff to think about also. It seems like alot to do on a sidekick, I myself has thought about trading for a sammi thats already set up.( check ebay ) But for now I'm staying with my KICK. I know I can't afford to build it like some but I'll just have to know my limitation with what I have for now.Maybe SANTA will leave me a rockcrawler under my tree this year....LOL...YEAH RIGHT [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2002, 12:00 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Depends if you can Fab or not. If you can go to toyota axles
If not then stick with IFS and bolt on an 31's and prepare to break stuff. I am building all the parts for my Tracker. But not everyone can do that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode