Black oil in the rear diff, what does that mean? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2002, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

Black oil in the rear diff, what does that mean?

I recently tore my rear diff down and replaced the wheel bearings on both axles and added a mini spool while I had it apart. I replaced the bearings because I had a seal leak on the passenger side. When i drained it the oil was dark and smelled burnt. I assumed it was because of the oil level being low due to the leak. Well, the mini spool took a crap on me after about 400 miles or so and when I drained the oil to start tearing it back down it was dark again. Not as dark and burnt as before, but darker than I think it ought to be. Is this from mixing with the oil from before, or do I have a bearing getting hot. I visually inspected the bearings when I had it apart and they appeared to be in good shape. Also, could it have been caused by the spool going bad? I appreciate any help.
Thanks,
Brad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2002, 12:36 PM

Re: Black oil in the rear diff, what does that mean?

More than likely it is the residual crud working itself loose. Burnt oil that is loosing its lubricating properties has a tendancy to cling to the metal surfaces. The new oil is just doing it's job lubing and cleaning the metal.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2002, 04:07 PM

No worries. That's your axle working.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2002, 05:34 PM

First, what kind of spool did you put in and have go bad in 400 miles? No insult intended, but the oil condition initially sounds like it was over due for a change. Many Samurai's are bought with 100K miles on the lube and never a thought about it until a leak shows up. In the axle housings that I have pulled apart that I know have high miles on the lube, I always find this black film inside that has to be cleaned off to get rid of it. It sounds like what CC said, and the new lube is doing the cleaning for you. It will take some time, so would't worry about it. As far as the spool failure affecting the lube, it would depend on what type of failure and if it could have caused high friction to heat up the lube to the point of burning it.

TGT - NCO
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2002, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

No insult taken, that is why I posted the question. You are correct in assuming that the oil change was long overdue. When i got the truck last year I was told that it was not restorable. I guess I showed him. But anyway, I suspect that when I installed the spool I changed the oil for the first time. The spool that I purchased was from Roadless Gear. Mine developed the same problems that Jbirds did. The wedge material was too soft for the application. The bearings visually looked good but I thought it was worth asking about. Thanks for the info. I sorta assumed that that might be the case, but hearing it from others more "in the know" is a relief.
Thanks
Brad
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2002, 10:32 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Check the rotational torque load on the pinion shaft and main carrier bearings . If they are preloaded too hard, they can burn the oil . Also , check the gear teeth pattern for abnormal signs of stress .
Sarge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode