Putting in Toys??? Read this! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2002, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Putting in Toys??? Read this!

A while back, someone asked about the work involved with the perches when installing Toy diffs in SPOA. Like was said, rear perches are too wide, no discussion, and need to be cut off and moved inwards. That's a given. But the fronts are a bit different. My diffs were out of an 85 4Runner and the front perches were off by about 1/2" on each side (they were too far out). What I initially did was weld some plate on top of the perches up front, and redrill the holes to the proper locations but didn't like the look and cut 'em off. So, I figured something else out that will work much better [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I made my own YJ kit and what I've done is use thick plate to gap the spring hangers and missing links out to compensate for the wider perches! Make sense? Hope so. Basically, I'm using the stock Toy perch locations and just shifted the springs out a bit to compensate. And yes, it's secure and solid. Now, I know some guys have done this axle install with NO mods to the front perches or spring locations (basically a straight swap) , but I couldn't with mine. No matter what. The springs wouldn't line up. Anyway, just thought I'd pass this on to anyone interested!
Also, I was wondering about the front U-bolts. The drivers side is OK, I have them, but the pass side has a lower perch welded in from the factory. Could I just use a lower plate, along with the upper one, and run 4 bolts instead of U-bolts? Can't see why not. Can you?

Cheers,
STeve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2002, 02:33 PM

Re: Putting in Toys??? Read this!

I have done the 2 plates and 4 bolts mount a numper of times, and even seen it on a factory rig,
although what it was on escapes me just now, it was YEARS ago. It will work just fine.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2002, 04:39 PM
Keyboard Implanted

well as many people have stated its just a bolt in you are right it is NOT the pads centr hole is off by 3/8" on both side's period! so what does that mean alot of people driving around with crooked springs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2002, 07:08 PM

I am also in the middle of putting toy axles under my rig too. I just finished putting the rear in (with Yj's!!) and now i am getting ready to put the front in. I wasn't sure how i was going to deal with the front perches but your plan to move the mounts on the frame seems like i might have to investigate into it. Also i ran into the problem with the u-bolts, Drivers easy, passenger not so easy, i have an idea on what to do but it is hard to explain. ohhhh i can't wait to finish this thing!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 965642-yodafront.JPG (60.2 KB, 39 views)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

I feel your pain! LOL Mine has been in the garage for too many months to mention and will be in there many more. I just have so many other things to do that the Zuk comes last. I hate this...
But when I finally finish the axles, the engine and the rest will be a breeze. I hope! [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Cheers,
Steve
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 05:33 PM

What are you doing for drive shafts? I thought the 88.5+ flanges (that have the larger bolt pattern) were the same as the toyota bolt pattern but I was wrong. It turns out that the toyota flange bolt patten isn't even square, but rectangular. I was hoping to run a toyota front shaft in the rear, with 89 Samurai flanges on the tcase and front drive shaft, but it looks like I'll have to redrill.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

Custom shafts b/c I have a 700R4 mated to a NP241 T-case going to the Toy's. Having them built for next to nothing [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Cheers!
Steve
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 06:29 PM

Fellas:

All you guys running toy axles can you tell me how much futher the axles make the wheels stick out from under the wheel wells.

T.I.A.
Anarchy Joe
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 07:09 PM

<font color="blue"> What ever the difference is between the two axles. If you really have to know I could take some measurements this weekend because I don't know them off the top of head.

Wes. </font color>
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 07:30 PM

i thought they were like an 1 1/2" more on either side. i could be wrong though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode