On the road again!!! Got my TX stickers. ...YEAH - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2002, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

On the road again!!! Got my TX stickers. ...YEAH

The short story:
In spite of what I have read regarding the local laws... I registered my Samurai without getting the inspection first. I went in for a temp tag and bam she slid me the real deal. So then I went today to an inspection station that luckily had a guy in my corner (Jeep owner) who kept me on the inpectors good side. And BAM I passed the dyno test with flying colors. My check engine light came on later...hmmm.

Long Story:
I did a whole lot of research in what is required to pass after an engine swap in a smog regulated area. I expected to need a teporary tag so that I could get the inspection that would be required to get my tags... This was simply not what happened.

On my third try to get to the Tax office (they own the tags here) I made it and I asked for a 30 day permit to operate on the highway. She said, "$51" and I said, "that's kind steep" but I paid it and BAM she handed me my 2003 tag! My stupid a55 started to open my mouth to clarify but I luckily smartened up and thanked her kindly and got the heck out of there.

The next step was an inspection. I rolled up and was greeted by fair tempered fellow who wasn't too impressed by my ride. He said something like, "I guess I'll let you slide on your wheels sticking out..." now my tires are only a half inch out past the flares tops ~ and that is the round sidewalls, the tread is almost parallel. But I am no dummy so I said, "cool, thanks".
Another guy stopped working to check out my sam, he was a lifted Jeep owner. "Man, that thing needs a V8." I smiled.
Once the car was up on the rollers and they popped the hood (the engine was running the whole time) He commented on smelling this and that, I talked as fast as I could, reminding him that the engine was just dropped in and it hasn't been run till today. A smell of paper burning came around too, but that was just the upc's on the custom exhaust.

Upon entering the info into the computer.. Sure enough the computer says the sam weighs 3000 pounds! What is that crap about????? Who enters this 5h|t?
"Is this a 1.3?"
"Uh, Yeah that's right. I swapped in fuel injection... that's all" I already told them it was a 1.6 ...so that's what they get for not paying attention. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
So the Sams got to pull a 50 percent load on the rollers - I figure at 1500 pounds I was pulling an extra 500 over what I was supposed to - and you could hear my sammy working to get the wheels turning (stock gearing on 32s)
I smoozed somemore witht the jeep guy that was working on the car next to me...
They asked me to come and view the results on the printout...
Uh oh..
My readings were so clean, they wanted an explanation.
How clean?
HC 16 CO 0 NOX 13
What is allowed?
HC 290 CO 3.66 NOX 1943
So the sam kicked some serious butt [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Now mind you, I didn't cheat with alc or anything. I was thinking fast but I couldn't open my mouth.
"How old is this motor?"
"It's a 97"
"[email protected], thats's still good for a 97, wait, this is OBDII?"
So I said... "What's that?" heh.
To shorten the story:
Details of the tank swap etc. that make the things look like they were born there were ignored... am I that good? ..nah.

Hey, I'm on the road. and ZOOM!!!! The engine is just over half on the temp guage. I'm keeping my eye on that.
Then, this afternoon the Service Engine light came on so a trip to Auto Zone is in order.

I'm on the road again WAHOOOO [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2002, 05:05 PM

Re: On the road again!!! Got my TX stickers. ...YEAH

Congrats!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2002, 05:31 PM

SWEET!!!! hope to see it soon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2002, 11:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Congrats!! When we going wheeling? [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I have two trips so far on the tires and wheels and am thrilled...wheels took a beating today down in San Antonio against some rocks..at 1 point as I sraped down the edge I said to a buddy...glad I didn't pay alot for these wheels! [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2002, 11:48 PM
Keyboard Implanted

<font color="green">Damn, I'm glad that I don't have to deal with that crap here in Ohio! No smog test here, just give ya the sticker and plates and say "see ya next yr" [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] </font color>
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2002, 11:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

btw...as far as I know they were just giving you tough time re tires sticking out. I don't believe Texas has ANY rule re tires, flares or mudflaps
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2002, 11:52 PM

Here Here Brian we also dont have that in Florida..hope they dont start it up again tho, I would be really screwed
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 10:09 AM

James, since you got it together when are you gonna met me down in Barnwell. Stuart still hasn't put that powersteering on he got from you.
Thinking about going down there the 21st
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 11:34 AM
SPAMurai

we want pics! we want pics! we want pics!! hip hip, hooray!

it's always a great feeling to slide past inspection. great job!

steve o'
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 12:22 PM

You guys should try living in Northern Virginia. Talk about aholes for inspection. How important is a thermostatic air cleaner? My sammi passed with it, and without it. Guess that brand new swift 1.3 really is running clean. Im my opinion, my zuk is safer than more than half the cars on the road around here.

James
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode