Timing" HELP" #4 tdc?????? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-23-2002, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

Timing\" HELP\" #4 tdc??????

Ok boy's and girls~
I've got a Question. I bought a Nice JX Tin Top a couple of weeks ago and am trying to get it running. It Had an engine replaced and they never finished the job to get it on the road. I was told that they put a new timing belt on it and left the timing belt guide off. I replace it but It's not running right. Idles real high and has no power as if the timing was way off. Runes smooth though.
I have brought the timing mark on the front pully around till it lignes up at 10Degrees, took out #1 plug to be shure it's at the top of the stroke and checked to see if dist. roter is lined up on #1 terminal. All is OK there. Now is it possible for it to be 180 out of time due to incorect timing belt placment with all those things correct? Another thought could they have had the dist. out and it's 180 out? OR both timing belt and dist. 180 out? (would it run under any of thoes conditions)? If not any one got any sugestions? I may have a carb problem I guess but am not shure. Zuk did sit for a long time 3+ years. [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-23-2002, 11:00 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Timing\" HELP\"

You need to have the timing marks on bith the cam gear and the crank aligned with the marks on the block/guide, don't have the crank at 10*, have it at TDC as well. The 10* mark means spark fires 10* before the iston reaches TDC..nothing to do with aligning the belt.

If you were 180 off you would be backfiring like mad, if running at all (been there, done that). I think your problem is you have the marks off and just need to reset them.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-23-2002, 11:32 AM

I agree with Samiam, It sounds like the timing belt is a tooth os so off. Are you checking
the spark timing at the front or on the Flywheel thru the bellhousing port on the drivers side?

If thats not it, make sure the fuel lines are clear, (gas can gel in them over time) and the carb float bowl
is clean as a start.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-23-2002, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

Checked timing at the front!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-23-2002, 11:45 AM
Addict

Make sure to let it run and get good and warmed up. Check to see if your timeing is advancing when you start to apply throttle it maybe stuck. Zooks rev high in the warm up process.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-23-2002, 02:15 PM

The flywheel markings are more likely to be accurate, I shoud have said that the first time...
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-23-2002, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

Will check both places and everything else tomorrow or next weekend when I get in from El Paso. Not doing much but lying around the last 2 weekends as I seem to have a Bug of some sort. Thanks for the inf !! [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-23-2002, 11:25 PM

If you used the Haynes manual, there is a possibility that your timing could be up to 180* off. A lot of the manuals were misprinted or just gave bad info. According to the FSM, "with the #4piston at TDC on the compression stroke the timing mark of the camshaft pulley should line up with the notch on the top of the timing belt cover. The punch mark on crankshft pulley lines up with the arrow on the oil pump housing". Now reinstall the belt and adjust the tensors.
Moving on to phase 2, readjust the valves. Specs are:
Intake cold 0.13-0.17mm (0.0051-0.0079in) warm 0.23-0.27mm (0.009-0.011in)
Exhaust cold 0.16-0.20mm (0.0063-0.0079in)warm 0.26-0.30mm (0.0102-0.0118in)
Now grab your timing light and set her to 10* BTDC. I found the best way to do this is to pull the plug on the flywheel cover and to use the marks on the flywheel. Sometimes the marks on the crank pulley can be off enough to make a diffrence.
If this dosen't get her running like a Swiss watch, you may have some other problems. Happy motoring.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-24-2002, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

Are you saying that I should put #4 at tdc? My manual says to put #1 at tdc. I have all ways used #1 for timing work on any motor I have been working on, or are you saying that what you posted is the incorect info??? Now I'm Realy confused!! [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-24-2002, 10:04 AM

no what was said was right the hayes manual is wrong if you set the timing belt like they say to the motor will be off be off by 180 degrees i did this once if you use their derections line up #4 to tdc on the compression stroke but if it is off 180 degrees i dout if it will even fire at all i would guess off a tooth as well done that once as well could still time it but it had no power at all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode