MAJOR mod. idea that I've had for awhile - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-21-2002, 06:21 PM
Wyld_Bill

MAJOR mod. idea that I\'ve had for awhile

I've had this idea ever since I realized I'd never get a LWB Suzuki SJ413 (Samurai in Canada) but wanted to go with big tires in excess of 33". Take my hard top Zook. Take a soft top Zook with a good tub. cut the rear half of the soft top Zook off just behind the targa. Cut the frame off just after it angles up then flattens out which would be close to the same spot as the tub was cut. Part out the rest of that Zook. Remove the rear axle, rear bumper, rear drive shaft, rear fender flares, gas tank, shocks, leaf springs, & torch off spring mounts from the hard top Zook. Ok,...now weld the frame from the soft top onto the back of the hard top frame on the same plane. set the rear part of soft top tub on the frame section. weld front of rear soft top tub to back of rear hard top tub lining up the body lines. Fill in the rear wheel well openings on the hard top. Reinstall gas tank & rear bumper onto back of Zook. Set up rear axle with coils OR make new main eye spring mounts.
So that's the shortened version
I think it would be cool It'd be the best of both worlds, kinda like those new trucks with a little bed on them. I could throw my spare, gas tanks, etc. back there. The biggest reason for this mod would be a longer wheel base for BIG tires & less rear drive shaft issues. Also would open the door for dual t-case set ups or a complete Toyota motor/drivetrain swap. A LOT of work though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-21-2002, 07:28 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: MAJOR mod. idea that I\'ve had for awhile

Ah Bill just come up here and get the LWB frame I have!!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-21-2002, 07:44 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

howdy,
bill i have thought of the same thing. but in my idea i was going to use the toyota engine, power steering, trans, t-case, driveshafts, and axles. it would be alot of work. you would need to address things like, modifryen the driveshaft. and maybe a body lift, so you don't have to cut the dog house and tunnel so much. and alot of frame work with supports for power steering box, trans, and t-case. then you might want to do the body lift with boat rollers. then you could evan maybe use the ac compresser for on board air. and maybe use a auto trans for just sh!ts and giggles. sorry i have thought alot of this. i have another sammi frame just sitting in the drive way. only thing left on it is the front fendors, firewall and body tub. there is no bed from targa back. if you want more ideas let me know. i have a ton, most to keep the sammi body lines and more little work that would cut out a lot of the big work. also i thought it would be nice to use the toyota gas tank. i even thought of names, like "TOY SAMI", "LORD YOTA", "MIXED UP", "CONFUSION". "CONFUSION" is my favorit because the 4x4 wouldn't know if it was Suzuki or Toyota. and then just think of all the beef that would be sitting below the body. makes me kind of h**d thing of it. sorry for the last piece of info but that's my 2 cents.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-21-2002, 09:04 PM
Shortwave

Anyone ever tell youse guys that you're NOT alright in the Punkin'?

Seriously.....great idea! Remember Doc Tari(sp)?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-21-2002, 09:24 PM

here ya go this is what it could look like but
if you chop a hardtop you just runt a collectors thing

i was gonna do it but decided to use 2 soft tops and get a sunport with an extra front half and run a 4.3 in it
[image]http://bbs.off-road.com/ubbthreads/download.php?Number=951454[/image]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 951454-streach2.jpg (26.0 KB, 94 views)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-21-2002, 09:30 PM

the cajun limo
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 08:03 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

howdy,
bill have you given this anymore thought, or are you just playing with my mind. if you want to do it, i'll give you my 88 sammi frame. it's a stocker. not cutting or any mods to the frame. maybe bb could tow it up to ya. but really if you want it to do this it's yours. anyways wife wants it off drive. i want to bring a 79 yota home. sssssssshhhhhhhhh don't tell her, she'd kill me slowly. trust me she looks mild mannered but the woman is a wild one.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 08:45 PM

I can't read the cajun limo pic with anything, but I think it's this one, in case anyone else can't either.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 952490-cajun limo.jpg (60.0 KB, 168 views)
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 09:25 PM
Wyld_Bill

LMAO!!! I am serious about the idea.. Will I ever get around to doing it?? I dunno... THe last thing I'm worried about is the license plate. That cajun limo is basically what I'm thinking of for an idea I guess. Not quite so long though I think. Maybe the rear wheel wells would come in to the back of what used to be the back of the hard top Zook. It would basically be like the four door PUs with the short little beds on them but only two doors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode