how to make 6 leaf yj springs - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

how to make 6 leaf yj springs

i know several of you have built 6 leaf packs using 5 leaf packs and some of a four leaf pack springs. what springs did you use, and after using them for a while now how are they working?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 05:43 PM
wheelnrock

Re: how to make 6 leaf yj springs

I made 6 leaf rears. I took the main leaf out of a 4 leaf pack and cut the eyes of and added it to a 5 leaf pack. So far it has held up great, no sagging yet.Plus it still flexes awsome.I have a fiberglass top on my zuk for the winter and it sits nice and level.I had 5 leafs in it and they lasted about 2 wheeln trips but these 6 leafs seem to holding up and taking the abuse.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 950092-DSC00011.jpg (71.0 KB, 27 views)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 07:22 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Some YJ's came with 6 leaf packs in them.

I have made my own sets of springs, just take the main leaf and double it or cut it down just slightly smaller, then add it to the pack.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-21-2002, 03:00 AM
zukikid

you can buy 6 leaf packs brand new off the j.c. whitney web site.
zukikid
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-21-2002, 11:55 AM
zukiman

Tony, I toasted a set of 5-packs in back pretty quickly due to spring wrap. As an experiment and as a way to tide me over until I could afford a traction bar, I assembled a pair of 6-packs by using all 4 leaves of 4-leaf packs, and then added 2 leaves from a pair of 5-packs.

In thinking about how to best do this to address the problems I was having (too low of a spring rate, and too much spring wrap) I figured that I needed to do 2 things: One was to increase the spring rate slightly (without going overboard) and the other was to help minimize spring wrap. Adding a long leaf would increase the spring rate, while adding a short leaf would help keep the torque coming from the axle from twisting the springs.

So what I did was added the 2nd-longest leaf from the 5-packs, and the 2nd-shortest leaf from the 5-packs to the set of 4-packs, obviously with the leaves arranged from longest to shortest. This required a new spring centering pin, which I made with a Grade 8 bolt.

I was expecting this to be a temporary fix, but it has worked out so well for about a year and a half that no longer am I munching springs, no longer is my back end too softly sprung, and no longer do I have excessive spring wrap. My problem is 100% solved, and I didn't have to spend all the money to get a traction bar. This mod is highly recommended for those whose Samurai is heavier than most (like mine) in back.

As a side note, I have had zero problems with the 5-pack springs installed up front.

-- Geoff Beasley
Suzuki Tech Editor: www.Off-Road.com
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-21-2002, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

was just looking for a quick fix and to suplement my traction bar it is seroiusly built but still i manage to have problems with it it the old mount was a piece of pipe cut in half welded to the axle tube to thicken the wall (i punched the first one i did thru the axle tube itself) then a spring perch is welded to that then another perch is inverted and held in place buy 2 u bolts around the axle and 2 3/8 bolts just to keep things from sliding i had to remove all this when i trussed the axle and it was a pain to do so after i removed the mount i inspected the parts to find it was tearing itself apart again the welds and perches had formed stress fractures the new mount cant have the u bolts so i am worried about tearing this one off as well
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode