miles per tank question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

miles per tank question

i installed a low miler used stock engine in a tin top sammy i picked up a while back and have been driving it to work every day for a couple of weeks now (50 miles/day). i have not drove a stock zuk for several years but if i remember correctly with a weber and header on a stocker i was getting no less than 23 mpg with my foot glued to the floor at all times...usually 25+.

i have not gotten better than 21mpg with this one. it runs great, timing is dead on, and has ok power for all stock.

my last tank after filling up completely and resetting the odometer i got 160 miles and it took 7.87 gal to fill back up again. thats 20.3 mpg. what is every one else getting for mileage with stockers???just curious
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 12:37 PM

Re: miles per tank question

Was getting 26 or so with my efi when it was stock.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

i know i shouldn't be getting as good as efi since it has a stock carb, however shouldn't i be getting well over 20mpg?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 12:47 PM
Kale

with 31's and a 4 to 1 i still get 20-22
stock 92 with efi i was getting around 28 with tanks as high as 31
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 01:13 PM

Check your odometer. Tires or gearing can throw it off, and IMHO the Zuk odometer and speedometer
are not top quality. My odmeter is 2% off and the speedo is 11% off, in the opposite direction!

Those whte hiway markers have mile numbers on them and are accurate as any mile marker setup,
just not as obvious.

My 410 has averaged just under 23 MPG over the past 35K miles, but its a 1L and 4 speed, with
different gearing than yours.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 02:06 PM

when mine was stock, (well it had 215/75 's on it) it would get 24-26 mpg with the stock carb.
with the 215/75's on it, the speedometer and odometer were dead on according to a police officer friend of mine

when the air/fuel sensor went in the carb and the heated ?? sensor inside the carb went, my gas mileage
went to 16mpg.

also when the vaccume lines, some of them got a leak, it killed gas mileage, particularly the one right off the
back of the black air intake just where it bolts to the carb, that one really killled the gas mileage when it got
a leak...

might want to check your vaccume lines, the distributor cap and rotor (those like to collect a lot of crap
on the contacts)

if you have good compression on your cylinders, you should be hitting 25mpg...

post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 02:17 PM
bord

I have an 87 with the original motor and 81k miles. Its all stock except for the Weber and 215/75 tires and I average 22-23 mpg. My best tank here recently was just under 25. My fuel guage starts getting close to the E at about 160 miles but it usually only takes between 7 and 8 gallons to fill it up again.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 02:41 PM

I use to get 23-25 mpg. But for some reason that I can't figure out, for the last to months now my milage has been getting worse and worse. Now I'm getting 16-18 mpg. This really sucks. It is bone stock and I haven't changed a thing lately. I should just get my old chevt half ton back as I got better milage with that. If any of you have any advice just let me know.

Oh ya, I almost forgot, the plugs are good the air filters good it's running great according to the plugs. I can't seem to go very fast on the highway (65-70mph max DOWN A BIG HILL, and 50-55mph on flat land. There's no gas in the oil, the gas tank doesn't leak, the lines are good, and it has good compression and the timimg is good. I can't figure it out.
Brandon
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

my engine is tuned up and timed. i do run a hair larger size tire 225. i will bet that the stock carb is to blame but i like it ONLY because it starts and runs good when it is cold out in the morning. i just wanted to see how horrible my mileage was compared to everyone else's.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 03:25 PM

I was getting just under 20 when my 1.0 liter 4-speed SJ410 had 29's on it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode