Fix up my Sammy or buy a Jeep? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 12:15 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Fix up my Sammy or buy a Jeep?

Hello everyone. I've got an '86 Sammy that is in need of an engine rebuild, rust repair and a general infusion of dollars. Should I fix up my Sammy or buy a Jeep instead? I like the size of my Sammy and the body is in good shape with minor rust around the rear wheel wells but will need to be fixed up. I'm torn since it seems like you can get anything you want for a Jeep and the replacement parts are probably cheaper. My Sammy has either 65,000 miles or 165,000, I can't tell because the steering wheel isn't worn and the suspension bushings look really good.

My water pump blew a gasket and dumped out all my coolent causing my engine to overheat. Since then I've noticed that it blows blue smoke when you get on it in deep sand/silt.

What should I do, fix it up or buy a Jeep?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 12:21 AM

Re: Fix up my Sammy or buy a Jeep?

welcome!!!!!! you asked the wrong question on a zuk forum! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] of course you should fix up the zuk. you can do anything with it and you would be suprised about the after market suport. i bought a zuk for the reason that you can have a bad @ss zuk for the price of buying a stock jeep. stick with it and all the jeep guys in your area will want suzuki's!!!!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 12:44 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Your right about the prices, I did a little searching on NADA.com and Jeeps are expensive! I'm all alone in my little town with my Sammy while there are a number of Jeeps running around so I started wondering if they knew something I didn't.

Maybe I should look around for another Sammy and buy it for parts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 12:46 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I Got a sammy you could use for parts or put together to drive for around 800 bucks im in washington. It has a great running engine,trans,and tcase.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 04:18 AM

Admit it, you were thinking 1.6 swap any way...... Aren't we all!!!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 06:41 AM
GRW

1600 16V [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 07:01 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well, look at it this way. My friend Elaine has a well-built TJ Wrangler (it ought to be, she's got something like $30,000 tied up in it [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]). That thing is HUGE compared to my Sidekick, which is still bigger than a Sammi. On the trail, where she has to "squeeze through" narrow spots, I don't even have to have a spotter. Now don't get me wrong - that's a very capable rig she's got - more capable than mine, but I'm working on that. Once I get lockers and new transfer case and R&P gearing, I should be in VERY good shape, for a fraction of the cost.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 08:37 AM

I run with the Jeep crowd, and my Sammi can do everything theirs can and more. Most of these guys have spent more on mods than I paid for the vechile, including mods.. Just remember what Jeep means; "Just empty every pocket". [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Sammis are one of the most trailworthy stockers ever built. With just two minor mods, some lift for taller tires and regearing the T case, and you now have a virtually unstoppable mini "tank" that will leave the Jeepers with their mouths hanging open and a suprised look on their faces. [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 08:55 AM

if this is gonna be your only auto and you drive it on the freeway a lot, then i would say a late modle jeep would be the better choice. i say this because hands down a newer jeep will drive on the highway far better than a samurai will.

however a newer jeep will put ya in teh poor house until you get it paid off, in which case you might want to keep you sammy for a budget build up and hammer on it off road at least until you get the high priced jeep paid off! just an idea.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 09:12 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I was suffering the same decision last year...

Build up Sammy or Buy new jeep...

So I started looking for older Jeeps in my price range (under $3000), couldn't find a single one that had a decent body. It would have cost me more to build up the jeep than I had already invested in the Sammy.

With a Sammy, you really only need a lift (4 inches), mud tires (31" or so) and a locker in back, to go wheeling just about anywhere.

Repair what needs repairing and upgrade as you get the urge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode