YJs or rears up front?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

YJs or rears up front??

I know this subject is getting beaten to death, but the more I read the more confused I get. [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Getting the springs is no problem. But the kits seem a little pricey. Then there's the hidden things; like missing links or S/R , to make it more "streetable", and re-doing the exaust system, etc. Stuff like this is giving me second thoughts. Although not the daily grocrey getter, sometimes I will drive up to 250 miles to get to a run. So needless to say, I don't need any quirqness in handling. Also since climbing up the face of Evrest is not on my list of things to do, I don't need ultra mega flex. What I have now is just fine. What I am looking for is a little better ride. That being said, I'm just wondering if I should just do rears in front and be done with it???? [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 04:39 PM

Re: YJs or rears up front??

Ok this is a trickey question. I run the rear up front SAMMI springs. I like them very much. They flex very nicely. I have heard lots of pros and cons to the Yj's and the Cj's but if I ever do my front springs again I will go with Cj's. I think they flex a little more than yj's. That is my personal opinion though. Just remember with the Yj's and the Cj's springs you are going to need to correct your drive shaft issues, and that in turn means more money. Hope this helps ya. TOM
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 05:38 PM

Rears up front are the easier and cheaper swap and probably better for you if you do not need max flex. YJ's with the M-links are a better swap for flex, but the kit is a bit more. Both setups with or without the M-link setup wil stil perform very well on and off-road when setup properly. SO if you want the best leaf spring suspension for the Sammy get the YJ's, but if you want just a better ride and a noticeable amount more flex than stock just go rears up front.
Simple enough?

Sean DeVinney
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-19-2002, 02:02 PM
Enthusiast

Zippy does bring up some interesting points. If I/we were to use YJ springs, what are the pros and cons of SR verses ML?
Trail Tough has a YJ kit, and now Rocky Road does too, Asian seems to have one, but his website is always screwed-up and today at least there are no photos and full of bad links.

Attention Venders: Brent, Glenn, Dave, and others, Please give us some info on your respective products, a sales pitch if you will, why I would want to buy your YJ system.
No need to put another venders system down. Photos of the various systems available could help educate us, but alas, Dave and Glenn are somewhat lacking at this time. Its not the some of us don't mind spending the money, Its just I/we want to understand what I am paying for and if it will help me attain what I think I want. I may not know exactly what I want, it may be a case of "I may know it when I see it thing" Customers can't always quantify what they want. Your photos and information could help educate me, make me feel comfy with your system, and spend my money with your company. Your information may help several others to buy from you. If after looking at your website's I understood exactly what you were selling, I would not be writing this post. Its not that I'm stupid, I'm just un-informed about your product. Please Help.

Don Roberts.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-19-2002, 02:16 PM

i currently have the ml set up with rears up front and cj's in the rear. if i had to do it all over again i would do yj's then add ml's later.to get the rear to flex right imo you have to renove a couple of leafs and put a trac bar on it. but with yj's you could leave it spua if you wanted! the flex with the yj's is just an added bonus. just my $.02. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-19-2002, 02:20 PM

I run the TT kit with 1.5" custom YJs, non-daily driver. I did like the "on road" feel of my old Calmini S/R and stock springs. Off road with the Cal S/R was a nightmare, no flex!! I used to drive my Zuk daily to work(55 miles round trip). I had to drive my TT YJ converted rig while I had some off road damage to my daily driver S10 fixed( don't think a prerunner will wheel like a Zuk!!) I was hating life on the road with YJs, The ride was smoother but I had a lot of body roll and nose dive during brakeing. I love the YJ's off road(100% better then stock) But if you drive your rig daily I would suggest something different. Maybe a sprung under YJ kit??? [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-19-2002, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

I talked with Brent at TT today to get the low down stright from the horses mouth. Yes the kit is pricey, yes you do get more body roll, yes it nosedives under heavy breaking. Ride and flex are great, but not highly reccemended for the daily grocery getter. NOW for the things they don't mention on there web sites. Even with a SPOA your shocks are probally going to be to short. You will need the longest shocks available for the Zuke. Your breaklines need to be at least 20" long, 22" is ideal. And lastly you will need to adress the driveline length, more spacers, longer slip yoke, or a new drive shaft.
Basically the way I look at it, it is equivlant to jacking up the ash tray and driving a new rig under it.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-19-2002, 06:49 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

howdy,
i will try to make this easy. breathe in, ok i mostly use my sammi for mudden and trail rides. i run rears up front with cj's in rear, 1 3/4 lift shackles, and 5.5 spoa. the flex but not as much as missing links. i use my sammi for hunting to. also i drive my sammi once in awhile, and it drives great. i would drive it everday, but my f-150 would get mad at me. there are not really any hidden costs except for the cj's. i got used ones for a better ride. if price is high for you just do it in steps.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-19-2002, 08:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

So on your setup jimzuki you are just running a longer shackle that accomdates the length of the cj in the rear ?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 11:08 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

howdy,
i run the A.R.S. kit from NCO. great price and fast shipping. then i bought my cjs on ebay. total price $167.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode