Hood Mounted Mirrors?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2002, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Hood Mounted Mirrors??

I know I've posted a similar question previously, but there are many new faces here, so I'll ask a similar question.

While in NZ, I saw many 4x4's with fender or hood mounted side view mirrors. I liked the idea, but haven't come across a suitable mirror yet to do this. I currently have 2 sets of side view mirrors (OEM position and another set wwwith the doorless brackets). Has anyone used the doorless brackets mounted to the hood?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 947217-SV mirror.jpg (30.3 KB, 108 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2002, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Hood Mounted Mirrors??

Another pic of a similar setup.........
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 947219-SV-mirror2.jpg (60.7 KB, 94 views)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2002, 03:53 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Crow, Send me a drawing of what you might want. I'll ty to experiment with a prototype for you this week. Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2002, 04:33 PM

Crow,

I would think hard about using a hood mounted mirror, It will probably vibrate a lot more than
other mounting surfaces. Makes it hard to see much, unless all you want is "legal".

I saw one mirror mount that you might want to try, magnetic. There are big mounting magnets,
similar to antenna magnet mounts, available at ACE hardware stores. One of these seemed to
work pretty well. Then you can try it whereever you want and remove it for trail use.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2002, 06:51 PM

A few things you may not have considered:

#1.~ These mirrors are only on the passenger side (at least on the vehicles I've seen) Perhaps it is to enable cars to park as close to the curb as possible?

#2.~ Have you ever tried to look through a mirror from 7 feet away? On those little 4" mirrors they are using, the "cone of vision" is very small... almost unusable.

#3.~ The mirror would have to either be hard mounted with no adjustment or have remote control capability... partially to compensate for #2 but mainly because every time you close your hood, you will be knocked out of adjustment... and worse, you can't reach it for the quick fix.

#4.~ The mirror will have to be very aerodynamic and firmly mounted since it will be part of the bow that breaks the wind at the front (as opposed to hiding in the foil of the windshield.

Not trying to kill the idea, just helping you spot some obstacles.

Jim
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2002, 09:38 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Why not use some Jeep CJ mirrors and mount them to the bottom of the windshield frame? I am doing this since I ripped the mirrors off a few weeks ago.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 05:42 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I agree with Jeepn. CJ mirrors will work. In fact, I saw some cool aftermarket ones that mount to the cowl, not the hinge. They were quick-removal with just a twist of the knob. I'll try to find a pic.

Not on the hood mount. One little rub with a tree and they would be history. Nice for a road pounder though.

BUT, if you really want something like that, and fairly cheap, look at any VW magazine for "Cal look" or "Baby Euro" mirrors. They look just like the ones in the first pic.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 10:40 AM
Can't Get Enough

Yeah Tim, I too would be interested in a pic of the aftermarket quick remove mirrors...

As for Crow... those mirrors that you're looking at are legal requirements for Japan DOT... not sure of the regulations, but they've been doing it that way for decades. Used to be a sure sign of a Japanese grey market import (from Japan for Japan here in the U.S.)
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 05:08 PM
shoezuki

Hey Crow, to expound on Wayne's idea.. Why don't you just get a set of used sammy mirrors and JB Weld a really strong magnet to the mounting surface of the mirror, put a thin sheet of lamination on the magnet to protect the paint, and viola! That way you can mount them just about anywhere you like, and remove them whenever you like. Maybe put a cord on them when you are in dense brush or rockcrawling so they don't go too far when they are "removed".

I plan on doing that-just a thought...... [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-19-2002, 08:58 AM
Skip

How about a set of motorcycle mirrors? You'd have to fab a reinforcement plate or use a tab (driving light
or antenna mount). You could then mount them whever you want. It's what I plan to do when I make 1/2
doors. I saw them on another guys doors and the will fold all the way in.
The best ideas are the ones someone else has tried and you can modify to suit ypur own needs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode