2.3 ford engine swap - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2002, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

2.3 ford engine swap

ok guys help me out. ive done a search and really didnt getthe info i need. I got a 2.3 here out of a mustang that i am going to swap into my zuk. I really dont want an auto but will go that route if i have to.

what i want to know (auto or stick) what transmissions you guys used...year make and model of vehical it came out of and what mods did you have to do to get it to mate to the t-case. did you have to move the case? do you get any vibrations etc... i know someone out there has done this before. I got a T-5 from a t-bird sittin here but it is about 6" too long. is there any way to shorten a T-5 or was their a shorter version ever offered?

help?!? [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2002, 11:54 AM

Re: 2.3 ford engine swap

Jase,

I believe the small ford 4x4's commonly used a shorter tailstock than cars did. Find out if any
of the small Broncs used the T5. Tail stock and shaft should be all you need.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2002, 12:22 PM

ehh I think a t5 was mostly on chevs and rarely on fords. Yup its a biiiig tranny. I was gonna put that mated to a chevy 302 in my other zuk, but it would never have fit. Every truck the t5 went into, had a long drivetrain. I also have never heard of a shorter t5, you might have to settle with a short shaft c4... [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2002, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

wayne,i know none of the bronco 2's or the early broncos came with a T-5...And most of the ford 4x4's are a married T-case with a left side output. backwards of a zuk. i think what i may look into would be a old ranger 4speed or pinto 4 speed.

studly...not sure where your getting your information. The T-5 is a big time mustang and t-bird transmission. It also came in the cougars. the T-5 never came stock in a ford truck that i know of. only the cars.

i am doing my best to avoid C4 but will go that route if i have to...im just back to collecting info again. I seen on some of the archived posts that people used ranger tranny's..pinto trannys...and others but id like to hear first hand experiences [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2002, 01:36 PM

just a hit and run commint here.... there is a kit out that adapts an RX7 motor to ford transmissions... i dont know which transmissions... but if you are thinking about using the ford motor and the ford tranny then maybe if room allows you can use the mazada motor and the ford tranny.... maybe it wouldnt be as long as the mazada motor and tranny setup.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2002, 02:12 PM

LMFAO !!!! thats the funnest thing ive herd all day
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2002, 02:39 PM
Keyboard Implanted

<font color="green"> You might know this already... but my T-5 tranny came out of a 84 Jeep Cherokee (see pic below). The bellhousing might be different (because its mounted up to a GM motor) but you can get one to fit the ford motor. If I remember right, the T-5 that I'm using is just a little bit longer then the Zuk's tranny! It fits in there with no problem! I'm sure you can get the stock t-case to mount up to it, but I didn't want to use the stock t-case. If you have the money and time, anything can be done. But, the Dana 300 mounted right up to it, no problem. If you are running stock axles, then the D3 might not work, since it has a centered output shaft. Hope your project works out, what ever tranny/t-case combo you go with! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] </font color>
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2002, 04:42 PM

Jase,

If you wind up stuck with a C4 let me know, I think I have build up info to make it beefier. Let me know.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2002, 09:50 PM
I Do This For The Glory

That engine is a popular swap for the guys with flatfender jeeps, as it's almost a direct bolt in. The T-90 (3 speed) bolts up to it, as does the T-98 (4 speed). The T-90 is OK, but it only has a 3:1 first gear, and the D18 mated to it only has a 2.46:1 low range. However, the D18 transfer case does have the drops on the correct sides, including the offset rear, and it has 1:1 high range with a transfer mounted e-brake already on it. The T-98 would be a better tranny as it has a 6.4:1 first gear, but they are hard to find mated to the D18. You could use a divorced T-98 as they are a lot more common, then you could still run the Zuk transfer, but the input shafts on those are a lot longer, so it'd have to be cut down and mated to the shorter bellhousing.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-19-2002, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

do you know the length of the T-98 2wd from bell to tailshaft?

Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode