Prepping for POR15 & Herculiner, pics - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2002, 04:28 AM
bord

Prepping for POR15 & Herculiner, pics

Spent most of yesterday removing interior parts and doing the prep work so I can fix my problem areas with POR15 before I apply my Herculiner. I was afraid I would find some serious rust but it wasn't as bad as I thought/

I thought my rear fenders would need serious work but there was only one place that had competely rusted thru. The rest was just light surface rust causing the paint to bubble

The worst spots are right behind where the seats bolt to the floor. It looks like there might be a factory weld there which caused rust. I plan to work on the problem areas some more and apply the POR this morning then hopefully have the herculiner finished by tonight. Will post more pics!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2002, 05:19 AM
shoezuki

Re: Prepping for POR15 & Herculiner, pics

Let me know how the POR went on, I am in the process of doing the same and have never used it (POR 15) before. I plan on doing my frame with it and also the underside of the body.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2002, 10:42 AM
Keyboard Implanted

<font color="green">How much Por-15 did you get? I was going to do this over the summer but got caught up in moving to another state! I've used the Herculiner before, don't ya have to prep that area before you lay that stuff down, or are you going to just prep for the por-15 and put it on and then lay Herculiner over that? </font color>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2002, 12:20 PM
bord

I got the pint size, I think, its the $21 can. A pint is plenty for a zuk and you'll have some left over for touch ups. I am really impressed with this stuff but it takes forever to dry.

As for the Herculiner, you can apply it while the POR is tacky or wait til it dries and then scuff it. I don't know which method works best but this stuff is HARD when it dries so applying while tacky is much easier.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2002, 02:41 PM
Keyboard Implanted

<font color="green">Are you spraying it on or brushing it on? $21 a can isn't too bad! </font color>
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 12:23 PM

Ok, I'm dumb. What is POR 15?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 12:54 PM
ronin

POR-15 is a rust prevention paint. Check it out here: http://www.por15.com/.

bord, I have the same holes in my floor right behind my seats. Mine look a lot worse than yours though. You couldn't tell it was rusted through until I removed the paint and sound deadening material. How do you plan to fix them?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 02:59 PM
bord

Zuk JR - I brushed it on. This stuff is really easy to work with IF you follow the directions.

Ronin - Since this isnt a high stress structual area and the holes were not that big, I applied several coats of por15 to the top and bottom of the holes, filled the holes with Quick Steel putty(this is strong stuff) and then applied several more coats of por15. I did the same thing at the fender seams where it had rusted completely thru. This may not have been the best fix but I think it will hold up well for a long time to come.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 09:11 PM
Keyboard Implanted

My friend is the Canadian distributor(sp?) for POR-15. I'm not sure that applying the Herc over the POR is a good idea. POR is such a smooth surface it would be hard for the liner to get a good hold on it. Now if your thinking of sanding the POR15 ...good luck!

Go see this site POR-15 Canada it has instuctions and a 1-800# you can call for info. That would be the safest way to see if it's ok for your purpose

post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-19-2002, 09:33 AM
bord

This was a question I had as well and some guys on here suggested to apply the Herculiner while the POR was still very tacky. All I can say is it bonded really well. You're right though, sanding this stuff would be all but impossible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode