What toyota axles do i look for - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2002, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

What toyota axles do i look for

What Toyota axles do i look for? Do they swap right in or do you have to move the spring perches? How wide are they compared to stock samurai axles and do you have to have them narrowed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2002, 05:35 PM

Re: What toyota axles do i look for

Well look for axles from 80' to 85' or Pickup trucks. The front "Will" bolt up but the perches don't line up perfectly. The rear you have to cut the perches and move them in about 1/2 to 3/4 inch inward. they are about 3 inchges wider, about 1.5 extra on each side. i like the look of the extra width, but try to keep her legal too is sometimes a hassle.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2002, 06:05 PM
Keyboard Implanted

And on the front Dr. side you need to add a xtra 3/8" spacer under the spring to make it level.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2002, 10:07 PM

I have 4 2wd yota axles at work with less that 12000 miles on them. I was thinking of shortening the right side to offset the pumpkin and using some of mark-er's adapter/spacers to fit the wheels. Anyone know if the axle diameter would allow for cut and re-spline?

This would fix any strength problem and allow me to choose any diff. of my choice. Bigger brakes too.....not as cool as disk brakes though
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2002, 02:28 AM

why is that rockrat?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2002, 06:59 AM
Keyboard Implanted

<font color="green"> Rockrat, are you talking with stock Sami springs or with any spring? I never put a spacer under the front of mine. I'll have to check it out, but think its okay with the Yj springs? Now you got me worried [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] </font color>
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2002, 08:40 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Heres some info I found on Chris's site and I have heard this talked about when guy's sas new Toys I was wrong it's 3/4"
I did some checking and toyota uses like chris says a stiffer spring rate on the DR. side it is physicaly lower then the Pass.
this is with any spring other than a toy dr, spring

Front pinion angle was too low, causing the front drive shaft to bind before the shocks bottomed out. The only way to fix it was to cut the perches, rotate the axle, and weld some new perches on. This was easy on the drivers side where the spring perch is welded to the round axle tube. On the passenger side the spring perch is welded high up on the differential housing. I ended up rotating the pinion about 4 degrees, any more than this and you won't be able to get the passenger side inner u-bolt on. As it is I had to slot the spring plate to get that inner u-bolt on. I also had to cut the outer side of the stock perch and weld it to the inside of the confer perch to get it tall enough to be level . Another problem is the drivers side spring perch is lower than the passenger side perch. Apparently Toyota uses a stiffer spring to compensate. To get the front end level I figure you'll need to weld a 3/4" spacer to the drivers side spring perch (I tried 3/8 and it's not enough). Almost forgot, to correct the front pinion angle I originally tried using caster shims, problem there was it raised the spring in relation to the steering arms causing an interference with the drag link and tie rod.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2002, 12:22 PM
Can't Get Enough

What rock said is true. when I get around to swapping in my front I'll be making custom spring perches and U-bolts
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2002, 12:37 PM

Someone on here once claimed that stock perches wouldnt work on the front cause it would ruin bushings. Just a thought and something I once heard.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2002, 12:46 PM
Can't Get Enough

Well a lot of people run it that way, but they seem to work. Is it the right way? Not really IMOP, to me it's not that much work to move the perches a tad to be 100% right on... I'm a bit of a perfectionist, itís a curse sometimes. [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode