'96 Tracker automatic, shifter sticks in park - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2002, 05:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

\'96 Tracker automatic, shifter sticks in park

Howdy all, new to the forum. My mother owns a 96 tracker LSI 4X4 4 door automatic. She lives in a small town and getting service is tough. The problem is that the vehicle is sometimes difficult to get out of park....that is...the button on the shifter will not go in (vehicle is parked on a level surface). The problem is intermittent, and occurs even when firmly depressing the brake pedal long before attempting to push the button on the shifter and move it out of park. I suspect that something is wrong with the lockout mechanism that prevents shifting out of park unless the brake is depressed, because once it is out of park, the button on the shift knob works perfectly. The only work I have ever done on this vehicle was to swap the A/C blower motor, so I'm not very familiar with the Trackers. I'm a decent wrench, and can tackle most anything with a few pointers. Can anyone give me any advice what to look for? It makes Mom nervous, as she never knows if it's going to strand her, and I live two hours away. She bought the Tracker new, and it has given her very few problems.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Frizlefrak [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2002, 09:15 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: \'96 Tracker automatic, shifter sticks in park

well, if your'e industrious, look for an automatic tracker at a junkyard and see if you can get the shifter mechanism out of it. If they have to take it out (insurance rules), watch carefully as it is done.

The shifter unit connects to the transmission through a cable. I don't imagine it is too hard to get to, but watching someone else remove one would be helpful for installation...

Good luck!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2002, 10:37 AM

Initial thoughts... check the switch on the brake pedal that "activates" the shift lock.

check the fuses and wires too

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2002, 01:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the replies. I will be heading up this weekend to look at the vehicle. Murph, where is the switch for the lockout in relation to the brake light switch? Is it an electrical switch, or some sort of mechanical linkage? Is it adjustable, or just a throw away item? Any way to test it?

Sorry for all the questions, but the vehicle is a couple hours away from here, and I kinda want an idea of what to look for. Again, thanks for all the replies. Great forum by the way. [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode