Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Suzuki GEO All (https://forums.off-road.com/suzuki-geo-all/)
-   -   '96 Tracker automatic, shifter sticks in park (https://forums.off-road.com/suzuki-geo-all/143671-96-tracker-automatic-shifter-sticks-park.html)

**DONOTDELETE** 11-15-2002 05:01 PM

\'96 Tracker automatic, shifter sticks in park

Howdy all, new to the forum. My mother owns a 96 tracker LSI 4X4 4 door automatic. She lives in a small town and getting service is tough. The problem is that the vehicle is sometimes difficult to get out of park....that is...the button on the shifter will not go in (vehicle is parked on a level surface). The problem is intermittent, and occurs even when firmly depressing the brake pedal long before attempting to push the button on the shifter and move it out of park. I suspect that something is wrong with the lockout mechanism that prevents shifting out of park unless the brake is depressed, because once it is out of park, the button on the shift knob works perfectly. The only work I have ever done on this vehicle was to swap the A/C blower motor, so I'm not very familiar with the Trackers. I'm a decent wrench, and can tackle most anything with a few pointers. Can anyone give me any advice what to look for? It makes Mom nervous, as she never knows if it's going to strand her, and I live two hours away. She bought the Tracker new, and it has given her very few problems.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Frizlefrak [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

ackerdackerly 11-15-2002 09:15 PM

Re: \'96 Tracker automatic, shifter sticks in park

well, if your'e industrious, look for an automatic tracker at a junkyard and see if you can get the shifter mechanism out of it. If they have to take it out (insurance rules), watch carefully as it is done.

The shifter unit connects to the transmission through a cable. I don't imagine it is too hard to get to, but watching someone else remove one would be helpful for installation...

Good luck!

Murph 11-16-2002 10:37 AM

Initial thoughts... check the switch on the brake pedal that "activates" the shift lock.

check the fuses and wires too

**DONOTDELETE** 11-16-2002 01:01 PM

Thanks for the replies. I will be heading up this weekend to look at the vehicle. Murph, where is the switch for the lockout in relation to the brake light switch? Is it an electrical switch, or some sort of mechanical linkage? Is it adjustable, or just a throw away item? Any way to test it?

Sorry for all the questions, but the vehicle is a couple hours away from here, and I kinda want an idea of what to look for. Again, thanks for all the replies. Great forum by the way. [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]