34x9.50 LTB's - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2002, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

34x9.50 LTB\'s

I've been a lurker for a while on a bunch of boards, this is my first post here. Looks like a great place to start out. I bought an 88.5 Zuk to build into a somewhat street legal trail rig. I'm looking into CJ's in the rear via Missing Links, Honda Accord brakelines, the basic Breeze SPOA kit (Perches, UBolts, Lower shock mounts, spacers), Sky MFG. front upper shock hoops, rear upper shock mount (Homemade), rears up front with RRO kit, a welded rear, and eventually Breeze crossover steering kit and tcase gears (6:1). I don't mind doing some trimming to fit tires, already lopped off the front bumper mounts that come out in front of the tires. Got to make a front bumper when I get the time. What I would like to do is run Swamper LTB's in 34x9.50. Will this setup fit them? I've searched every forum I can find but aside from that Trail Tough monstrosity (Meant in a good way - that thing's awesome), I can't find any references to these tires. I run some mud (Trails, not bogs) and rocks. All types of trails from dirt roads to mossy rock gardens. I'm in WV, we have a little of everything. I like to do all kinds of wheeling, I love trails with rock, mud, anything with a challenge. Levels 1-5. Other than the usual beating pinchwelds flat and cutting fender liners, what am I going to need aside from what I mentioned to do to properly fit 34's? I want to be able to use all the flex I have, but really want the ground clearance (Also don't like heavy wide tires). I love wheeling my Tacoma, but I need to take better care of it >8-) [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2002, 09:24 PM

Re: 34x9.50 LTB\'s

i have a similar set up. you can see it at mykmotorsports.com but if you are gonna run 34" tires i would recomend going to yota axles. i am only runnin 31's but only because i don't want to break parts. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] you are gonna need to do alot of cutting with a sawzall to fit those tires! but it is possible! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2002, 04:49 AM

I run 33x10.50 BF's..
My setup is:
Breeze 4.5" SPOA
TT YJ kit M/L with stock Heep springs, roughly another 2.5" of lift.
to run 34x9.50's you might want to get the taller 5.5" SPOA pads also. Not sure how much lift the CJ/RUF setup gives you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2002, 09:47 AM

The 34x9.5's are regular bias ply TSL's. The LTB is a 34x10.5.

I just recently put the 34x10.5 LTB's on mine. I have a 2.75bs 15x8 wheel and the large lug will rub the rear portion of the leaf spring when making a sharp turn. I still have to put in the new 3rd's I have in so I haven't taken it off-road with them on there yet. It does look like it will rub some though. This is with a CSC YJ kit (S/R) and a 4.5" RRO spring over. Total lift is somewhere around 9-10 inches.

As far as the axles holding up...

It really depends on how you drive it. I tend to be light on the throttle. If I start spinning on the rocks I back off and try a different line. It's when you start bouncing or getting wedged in that you really bust stuff.

Also there are quite a few people running 33's on the stock axles and not doing too badly. Most of those are 33x12.5 (or wider). The narrower 34x10.5 shouldn't be too much different weight wise as a 33x12.5. This is my thinking anyways.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2002, 02:47 PM
zukiman

Hey there LoneToy,

Mark is right, the 34 inch LTBs are 10.50 wide.

You're referring to the 34x9.50 Special Service Swampers.

Either tire should be good for terrain where you need to dig down through the muck to a solid base. Their tread lugs are huge and designed to dig.

I think in order to fit those tires, you're going to need some taller springs, a body lift, or a Sawzall. I'd be happy to help you set your rig up for those tires if you want to meet! I've moved out here to WV from California for the time being and haven't gotten a chance to do any 4-wheelin' yet. If you'd like to get together to work on Zuks or to show me some of your favorite trails, I'd love to tag along!

-- Geoff Beasley
Suzuki Tech Editor: www.Off-Road.com
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2002, 06:03 PM
Wyld_Bill

I've been thinking of getting the 34x10.5s for a while now. Checked a bunch of Swampers out at the local 4x4 shop & found that the 34x10.5's actually only measure 32" to 33" tall. The 34x9.5's measure 34-1/2 to 35" GO FIGURE! I hate the way the 9.5's lok though so I'll be happy with a 32" to 33" tall tire I guess.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2002, 12:44 AM

On a 15x8 wheel mine measure in at around 33 inches. I wasn't aware that the 9.5's ended up measuring so much taller.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2002, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

Sorry 'bout that - got my tires backwards. I'll sacrifice a couple sidewalls to the Swamper gods later to make up for it >8-) That's great that you moved to this end of the country - all new type of wheeling for you. If you use Delphi Forums, our bunch has a forum "Mountaineer Offroad". We put on two major 4 wheeling events this year, one for Bob Hazel and Skyjacker. Where are you living at? There's 4 or 5 Zuki guys, some Heeps, several Yotas. We have guys all over the state. Like a big happy family >8-)
I'm completely new to Zuks, but after I met one of my now very good friends who has 3 or 4 of them and saw how they wheel - I had to have one. Mine is the only tin top of the bunch and is still bone stock. Man, it'd be great to have someone around who knows all kinds of Zuks info. BTW, I've been following Buster for a while on OffRoad.com, it was the reason I wanted a tin top to start with (All my buddies thought soft tops were the only way to go.) It'd be awesome to see it in person.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2002, 11:47 AM
zukiman

I'm glad to hear that you're familiar with my Samurai. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I love having the hardtop; I've usually got the only one on a trail run, and I love how it looks. It's also nice when it's as cold out as it's getting to be nowadays!

I'm living in Huntington. I'd love to meet up with you and your buddies anytime! Unfortunately I work Saturdays, but I have Sun-Tues off. Maybe we can get together one of these weekends? You can [email protected] me to arrage something if you'd like. I'd love to meet you and see what you've done to your Zuk.

-- Geoff Beasley
Suzuki Tech Editor: www.Off-Road.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode