Newbie with a problem - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2002, 03:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Newbie with a problem

Hi guys, this is my first post. I've been a lurker for awhile. I am new to Samurais but not new to off roading. My DD is also my offroader and I am wanting to do more complicated trails but didn't dare risk my DD. By the way, its a 99 Cherokee with 3" Rustys lift, Tom Woods SYE and 31" AT's. Sooooo, anyway that led me to looking for an affordable but capable four wheeler. So last week I bought an 88 Samurai. It seemed to be running a little rich but thought that it should not be a problem. Stick a pony carb on and be done. So while looking it over and monkeying with the stock carb (what a nightmare) I find another problem that has me absolutely baffled. It seems like the engine is running a little rough, which could be the carb, but from under the intake manifold somewhere, whenever I gun it there is a plume of what appears to be exhaust smoke coming out. Now I've seen blown headgaskets before and usually they will puke oil or antifreeze or both. So I don't think this could be a blown headgasket, but what the heck could it be??? It appears to be coming from under the intake on the passenger side of the engine back towards the firewall a little bit but not on the back of the head.
Anybody have any ideas for me on what to look for or what the ???? it could be???
Thanks,
Timbo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2002, 03:27 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Newbie with a problem

There is something called an EGR Exhaust Gas Recirculation. It'll pipe exhaust gasses from the exhaust manifold and pump them into the carb. If the vacuume lines or the exhaust gas pipes/plumbing is leaking, there indeed would be exhaust gasses leaking on the intake side.. A common way to fix this is to make a plate that goes between the EGR valve and the intake manifold, it'll block most EGR functions..
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2002, 07:12 PM

My wifes daily driver is a 95 XJ with a RE 3.5" lift, adj. track bar, JKS discos. and a super 35 with an OX locker. Don't sell the family wagon short. It will keep up with the Zuke and then some. Or are you afraid of body damage. And yes your problem probally is in the EGR. It's the Japaneese equivlant of blow by.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2002, 07:21 PM
Keyboard Implanted

At the firewall end of the intake is the EGR exhaust circulator port , more than likely the intake gasket is blown out at that end , causing it to leak . I'd be changing that intake gasket soon, it will burn a notch into the aluminum , either the head or the intake itself .
Sarge
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2002, 07:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

It's the body damage I don't want on my XJ. Hate to tear it up since I'm still makin payments on it. I've done some awesome trails in Colorado with it, but I'm just tired of always having to be super careful.
Soon as it gets daylight and stops raining I'll check out all this EGR stuff. Can it all just be unhooked or bypassed or blocked off???
Timbo
edit: Could this also cause it to run really rich??
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2002, 08:30 PM
Keyboard Implanted

You can block that EGR off, I usually just hide brass plugs under it to satisfy the Eco Nazis . The carb running rich could be a plugged O2 sensor, or a bad mixture valve in carb itself.
Sarge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode