Yokohama Geolander M/T - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2002, 07:14 AM Thread Starter

Yokohama Geolander M/T

I'm getting ready to buy some tires now that I finally got a set of rims. I read a few reviews on the Geolander m/t and they seems like a good tire for the price. Tire rack sells the 31's for $111.00 a piece. Seems like a cheap alternative to the baha claws. reviews said the rubber is real soft, tires stick to everything and sling mud like crazy. Tread wear isn't long but but I don't care cause the zuk only gets road use getting to the trail and back. I was also considering the the 32x9.50 swampers like the ones Jeepn has. He seems to be pretty happy with them plus it's a little taller tire and not as wide so there shouldn't be any rubbing with the 9.50's. What ever tire I go with is gonna last me a long time so I want to make sure I get something I'm happy with. Anyone ever tried the yoko's or seen any rigs with them on? Thanks!

Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2002, 07:34 AM
pugrocker

Re: Yokohama Geolander M/T

I really like those tires too except that if you get a full size matching spare it cannot be used properly on one side of the vehicle because it is a directional tire.....just something to think about
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2002, 09:55 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

here is a review from www.tiretrends.com I was looking at them as well...not sure what i'm getting yet

"These tires offer good traction on rock and dirt and not bad in the mud. I've been pretty happy with them until recently when the sidewall sliced. The sidewalls are way to thin and soft for running in the rocks. Now wonder they won't stand behind their product. Whats more the Yokohama Canada rep was extremely rude and uncompassionate when I phoned about the warranty. Unfortunately the Road Hazard I had been told about when i bought them was only for the A/T's. If you just want a mean looking street tire....go for it.........if your serious about off-road bypass........"

hope this helps... [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2002, 12:09 PM
Can't Get Enough

Other than the fact that I don't like directional tires, I'd buy them. Also it would not matter much to have one as a spare (trail only or swap to the back) Strokeyrmomma's are good soft tires. Id buy them over Baja claws or boggers.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2002, 01:26 PM
Skip

I've been running the Yokomama GeoAnnLander MT's for 4 years and really like them. They clean mud
and work real good in rock too. One of the local guys here ran the Baja Claws and they did not clean
mud worth crap. He unloaded them for a song. As for wear I've got about 8-10 k miles on them and
they seem to be doing ok, but then again it's not my daily driver so I'm not watching for that. I do recommend you get them sipped
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2002, 03:16 PM
I Do This For The Glory

I wouldn't use the 32x9.5 bias Swampers as a daily driver tire. Off-Road they dig like a rototiller, but on-road they can flat spot and feel more like an ATV tire.

I would look to the 32x10.5 Radial Swamper, they're a decent tire, but a little taller and wider.

Are you're looking for a decent all around tire, or 75% Off-road and 25% on, or what percentage are you looking for?

The Claws do suck in the mud, at least every one I have seen. It was so bad I snapped this pic, even the BFG All-Terrains weren't this bad in this section.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2002, 04:39 PM

.Being from Florida and all I would know a good thing about mud, and seen a good tire in it. But I must say when I saw the geolanders I was not impresses at all. Looked like mud doughnuts when it finally boggged down, those and claws are horrible. Boggers are the best tire in the mud I have really ever seen (nightmare on the road tho). Swampers a notch below them. Then again we have some sloppy mud down here ( and sand, dry sand, and wet sand [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]). On the rocks I bet they are good, but if I was to tell ya I would say get some SX or bias swampers. then again thats just my .02 cents [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2002, 06:23 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I just got a new set of the Swamper TRXus M/T's, and I must say they are quite impressive . I thought they would be too little compared to my previous set of TSL's, but I have been very impressed so far . I ran with a Jeep in the creek a couple weeks ago , and got around a lot better than he did running a new set of Claws . I couldn't believe how bad they got plugged up . Self-cleaning my butt.....
Sarge
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2002, 07:03 PM
Can't Get Enough

go with the truxus matt....i seen them in action at the melt and they are a great tire....clean out well and work good on the rocks.....if i wasnt banned from Interco products id buy a set for my zuk
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2002, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

Jeepn I'm looking for a 100% offroad use tire. The only asphalt they will see is the 2 to 5 miles I need to drive to get to the trail so I'm looking for the most aggressive tire there is. My zuk sits in the garage until it's time for another trail ride. How much lift to you have to run the 32's? I'm 4.5" spoa with added cj leafs front and back. I figure I got between 5 1/2 to 6" of lift. My friend just gave me some 7" cj rims with some worn 31x10.50 AT tires. I put the front ones on to see how well they fit and there's plenty of room for a 10.50 so I would assume a narrower 9.50 would fit even though it would be a little taller. If I had to I could get a little longer shackle to add a little more lift since I'm still using the stock shackles. Those TRXus look pretty good too not as much spacing between lugs but it does have siping. The LTB's are out cause the 11.50 would rub bad without a 2" backspaced rim. I think with the yoko's and claws you need high wheel speed to keep them cleaned out which doesn't do you any good when your crawling. Keep the input comming guys! Thanks!

Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode