spring over mounting question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 04:37 PM
pugrocker

spring over mounting question

This might seem like a strange question but do you need to turn the bolt that holds the springpack together around (put bolt on opposite side) when doing a SPOA?

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 04:46 PM
shoezuki

Re: spring over mounting question

yep!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 05:15 PM

Funny thing, I was wondering about the same thing myself. I guess the only reason would be to have access to the nut rather than head, but again the nut is buried inside the U-bolt plate, so what's the difference. Are we missing something?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 05:15 PM
moof

I had the same question when doing my SPOA. Tim at NCO told me that is was not necessary to invert the bolt. (The round end of the bolt is a snug fit in the hole on the clamping plate on the top of the spring and holds the axle in the correct location). I didn't change mine, and have had no problems.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 06:06 PM
Keyboard Implanted

If you are adding leaves, it's easy to do it correctly. If not, it's not worth the trouble.

You using stock springs in a SPOA right?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 08:14 PM
pugrocker

what is the reasoning behind inverting the bolt? I will be running rears up front if that is of any importance....and i had intentions of just replacing all of the spring pack bolts with new grade 5 or 8 nuts and bolts anyway
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 08:20 PM

If you don't invert the pin your axles could be miss aligned when you install them witch will cause your samurai to dog track. You don't have to invert it but I would.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 08:51 PM
pugrocker

"will cause your samurai to dog track" what do you mean by that - will it wander all over?

My thinking is that if i install a nut and bolt it should have a good bite on both sides of the spring......am i right in assuming this (because one side will have a large nut and the other side will have the large bolt on it)? and i will invert the bolt at the same time....
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 09:15 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

howdy,
pug i run cj's in rear and rears up front. when i first did my spoa i replaced the spring pack bolts and inverted them so that the bolt would not come in contact with the axle housing. since then i have add rears to the front and cj'c in the rear. when i built my spring packs i use a round allen headed bolt with a nylon lock nut. i then placed the round allen headed bolt into the perch hole. it fit just right and won't move. i have seen where people have used a nut on the side that goes into the perch smash them into the whole. this thus in turn make the hole dipple or take the same size of the bolt. so this is not as clean as the bolt together should be. the only reason to invert the bolt is so that the bolt does not come into contact with the axle housing when the u-bolts are tighten down, and also so that the nut will not damage the perch. i my self have damage a perch do to not inverting the bolt. i then had to buy a new perch and grid the weld off of the old perch and reweld the new perch.
i hope this helps, but you should do what ever feels right to you. so do it the right way the first time and don't worry.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 09:57 PM

pug, just make sure that when you put the new bolts in, that the head of the bolt fits snug into the hole on the perch.
and when you bolt down the U-bolts that you take your time to make sure that each one is bolted the same number of turns and to the correct foot-lbs
60 ft-lbs I believe, that way you don't strech one side of the ubolt more than the other and you will be able to get them straight.

you should not have any problems with wierd handeling..

the only thing you may have to worry about is the castor angle of the front, depending on how you mount the rear springs up front.

but that can be fixed with shims.if you even need them.. but just something to think about.
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode