Calmini has the only ones I know of.
Has anybody had problems with these???

Thanks,

Blake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 05:12 PM

Re: Opinions needed on Calmini Rear Axles

I have never understood why pay around 300 bucks for something that will still be weak. Maybe you should consider some type of rear axle swap? I used to be sold on the idea of the 26 spline front axles. Then thought about what other stuff I could do with 650 bucks lol. I wouldnt do it cause what happens if you crack those? you pay 150 (last time I checked it was 150) for other ones that will jsut crack again!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 05:16 PM
wheelnrock

Ive been asking around about the axles also and everyone Ive talked to says that they will hold up to 33s no problem. Im going to go with them because I just did all the same 512 hybreds last winter and dont want toyota axles for now.Im staying with 33s for now.If you need more info ask YANKEE TIM he is going to run them with 35s.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 05:23 PM
Enthusiast

Some people would like to keep their suzuki as much suzuki as possible. That's why I am going with hybrid rear and calmini hardened shafts front and rear, along with hub fuses. That will hold up to some really aggressive wide 33's with pretty much no problem. Toyota power steering is about as far from suzuki as I will probably go. Just my opinion.....
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 05:31 PM
wheelnrock

Studlybil03 I take it you have'nt broke any axles yet running 35s? Just give it time wait until your locked and playing on the rocks . The rears brake on the splines and take out the carrier bearing so then you need not just an axle but a third member also.The price on axles arent to bad and there 30 % stronger than stock axles.Plus I cant put toyota axles under my zuk for the price of the calmini axles.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 06:02 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I got 'em in my. I like them. I will be running 35's on them. I think 33's on the CALMINI H/D axles is pretty damn bulletproof on a Sammy.

Heck, we can throw a lot at stock shafts and they take it. 31's are fine, and 33's take a bit to snap them. If you are easy on the throttle, stock shafts last a long time with 33"s. Increasing the strength by a 1/3 is great. Plus, your existing shafts immediately become spares, and it's always easy to find and extra stock Suzuki shaft at a Suzuki event or trail ride.

CALMINI's shafts are very well made. Call them ask about them. They will be happy to tell you the specs. The short side even has longer splines for a cable locker they have in R&D. CALMINI spec'd the shafts and went to one of the best axle manufactures in the county and had them made, and only for CALMINI. While I won't say makes them, I will tell you that the axle company CALMINI uses also makes reallysuperior Jeep axles for another company's brand name. [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

For the money, they are fairly cheapest ANDthe easiest way to upgrade the Stock axle housing. I haven't used the fronts, but for someone who is on a budget and wants easy beef in the front it makes sense. One things I know, once you ring or cup the Birfield the weak link is the 22 spline inner stub, and they is where it will break 90% of the time. Going to the 26 spline AND a heavy duty shaft will ensure any breakage would occur back in the Birf, which is now beefed. Here is where hub fuses would be the hot ticket to protect the entire axle.

To install H/D shafts and Birf Rings and new bearings and such, would cost about $600. And you'd have a full set of spares to boot.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 06:52 PM
wheelnrock

Tim I agree with ya 100%. I emailed a couple of calmini dist. and they all said the samething.Yea what you just said.I also emailed the company that makes them for calmini and they also said the samething.They can not sell them to ya but they will tell you where you can buy them.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 07:56 PM
CSR

Going to the 26 spline AND a heavy duty shaft will ensure any breakage would occur back in the Birf, which is now beefed.

So Calmini makes 26 spline front axles now? Where can I see more info on these? I looked around their website but didn't see axles. [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 08:01 PM

wheelnrock dont scare me like that [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Lets just pray this rear kick axle carries them well for now. As for the front I will have a cut down d44 lets pray for that to lol [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 09:37 PM
Pooh-Bah

They've made(or have had made for) them for a while, it was in their paper catalog I got a couple years ago .. but hasnt been on their web site
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode