thoughts on chicago elec 90 amp mig wire welder? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

thoughts on chicago elec 90 amp mig wire welder?

howdy,
i have been thinking of buying a gasless mig to use when i can't use my gas mig welder. so i want to know what you all think of this chicago elec 90 amp mig wire welder i found at habor freight.com here's the link.http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=44567
but if you don't feel like clicking it this is what it says.

"Uses 0.035'' or 0.030'' Flux Cored Wire
Specifically designed to use self-shielding flux-cored welding wire, eliminating any need for gas and regulators normal MIG welders require. Includes: 4'' spool of flux-core wire, spare .035'' welding tip, wire brush/hammer and welding mask.
Self regulating feed control
Thermal protection with warning light
Carry handle on lid
Input: 115 volt, 15 amps, single phase
Welding current (2 settings) 63 to 68 amps (low), 79 to 90 amps (high)
Duty cycle: 12% @ 80 amps, 20% @ 60 amps
Shipping weight: 34-1/2 lbs.
ITEM 44567-3VGA
$129.99"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 01:03 PM

Re: thoughts on chicago elec 90 amp mig wire welder?

Jim,

I think it likely that you will just sell it off after you get tired of its limitations. Most of these
cheap imports have aluminum wound transformers. Power is low, and it will probably trip
breakers a lot. Penitration is going to have to be watched. It also only has 2 heat ranges
so you "adjust" the heat with the wire feed. [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] There is a reason I went with the better model of Lincoln,
fully adjustable heat range, and copper windings thruout. The chicago's duty cycle says it all, 12%,
which translates to about 7 min welding time per hour. (you are almost certain to be running it
wide open for most things.)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 02:07 PM

I was looking at a different welder at Harbor freight and gave a call to my good buddie Shrock in Texas. Well, he pointed out many of the same points. Also, that thing won't penetrate 3/16 steel. Most aftermarket stuff you buy is 3/16th or 1/4. Also, if you ever want to MIG weld, you will need to buy a gas regulator and all of the stuff to go along with it (about 150). So, I have decided to hold out for a better welder knowing that I'll get my money out of it. Hobart (made by miller) makes a very nice MIG/Flux welder that is 115V and pushes 135 amps. I don't remember the duty cycle but iot is a lot better than that one . It is 499 at most places and comes with all of the goodies you will need to do it right. Hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 05:35 PM

I almost bought that Hobart, What convinced me not to was the aluminum windings and the
limited heat controls. It is made on contract in Italy as I understand it. It does seem to
be better than most of the 120V competition, leaving aside the Lincolns.

Miller and Hobart are one company now, selling under both brand names. I can't remember who
consumed who.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode